Virtual Console Which should I play first Earthbound or Earthbound zero

• Thread starter Ethendor
  • Start date
Ethendor

Ethendor

The PK-Fire spammer
Towns Folk
I want to go try the earthbound series and I have no idea where I should start.

Well, the series can actually be played in any order, I started with Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) and worked backwards for some stupid reason. I'm still on Earthbound and that's been progressing kinda slowly (anyone who keeps up with N's Playthrough of Earthbound would know). There's nothing you have to know from the previous games to understand the next, excpet for a few things like some monsters and how the battle system works. If you're wondering, the main character of Earthbound Zero is Ninten, the main character of Earthbound is Ness, and the main character of Earthbound 2 is Lucas. Earthbound Zero is a short story but requires a lot of grinding. Earthbound is a pretty long and not as intensive on grinding, but make sure you utilize inventory space wisely. Once I finish Earthbound I'm gonna play Earthbound Zero so that I can say I finished the trilogy ^-^

Well I guess that Earthbound Zero is where the series had all began, but I am sure that most people have played Earthbound: The War against Gygus (SNES) I say you should start with Earthbound Zero, since that is where it began. Maybe you will better understand the series if you start there. I haven't played Earthbound, so I can't tell which game to start with.

Okay thx

Personally I recommend starting with earthbound first. Ten play through Mother 3. Conclude with Earthbound Zero seeing as it is, by far, the hardest game in the series.

Reactions: Kakea
It depends. If you're just starting, play MOTHER 2 (EarthBound), MOTHER 3, than MOTHER 1 (beginnings), but if you're a pro and don't mind grinding or difficulty spikes (especially on Mt. Itoi/Holy Loly), play MOTHER 1 (beginnings), MOTHER 2 (EarthBound), than MOTHER 3. Whatever you do, DON'T PLAY MOTHER 3 FIRST!!! (too many spoilers)

Well, aside from a few things*, the games aren't directly related, so, you're free to start with which one you want. However, as pointed out by others, Earthbound Zero is more grind-heavy than Earthbound (SNES). Though there's a "trick" to heal you back to full life without spending in-game money anyway.

(*And I'm not even sure, it's only theories about EB Zero and EB 1's final bosses, though the Japanese name of Earthbound 1 makes this possible that they're related. Stopping here to avoid spoilers.)

I want to go try the earthbound series and I have no idea where I should start.
Story wise, you should do the first one: Earthbound Beginnings. It's very raw and surprisingly hard at the end. But the other 2 are easier as they're story based games, I even beat Mother 3 in Japanese! (I forced myself to learn what every word did, and actually beat it easily after I knew what everything did :D )

Back