Which Character would you say is the best character for starting SSB4?

• Thread starter Stevo2201
  • Start date

If there was to be one DLC Character you would replace, which would it be?

• Lucas

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Roy

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Ryu

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Mewtwo

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Cloud

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Corrin

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
Stevo2201

Stevo2201

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
In my opinion, it is either Mario or Bowser Jr, as at the very start, you don't need to worry about Combo's or Match-Ups, you just want to play and rack as much damage as possible to the CPU or other person your playing with, when you get about 4-6 months into Smash though, that is when you need to be worrying about Match-Ups and all that.

As a starter, perhaps Mario. He's an all rounded character that balances speed, strength, and defense pretty well. He has some simple combos to learn and a decent recovery. As you play the game more, you might be able to pick up characters like Link or Samus if you choose the projectile game, Pikachu or Kirby for mobility, or Bowser and Ganon for power. But playing Mario gives you a good feel of how the game works and how the characters are played.

Reactions: Gary Johnson
As a starter, perhaps Mario. He's an all rounded character that balances speed, strength, and defense pretty well. He has some simple combos to learn and a decent recovery. As you play the game more, you might be able to pick up characters like Link or Samus if you choose the projectile game, Pikachu or Kirby for mobility, or Bowser and Ganon for power. But playing Mario gives you a good feel of how the game works and how the characters are played.
Defense exists in smash?!?! I thought every character takes in the same amount of damage!!!!

Mario, is by default, is the best starting character to play in Super Smash Bros 4 :p He has a basic but well-rounded moveset and utility (Cape and FLUDD). Another character I would say is Link. He's really easy to play and to get kills really easily sometimes and has plenty of projectiles.

It's pretty much already said: Mario's your guy. He's the Ryu of Super Smash. An all-around character with a good moveset that can be easy took get used to. A projectile, a reflector that can also be useful for turning people who are about to hit you with a strong attack around as well as giving you a lift in midair so you can recover with your up special more easily, and a special great for keeping an opponent from getting back on stage.

Defense exists in smash?!?! I thought every character takes in the same amount of damage!!!!
Well by defense I mostly meant how much knockback he takes :p

Well by defense I mostly meant how much knockback he takes :p
So weight.

Reactions: Sans
For starters I'd choose a larger character like Bowser, King Dedede, or Donkey Kong because they last longer and their recoveries are straightforward. That or I'd pick a well rounded character like Yoshi or Sonic that are quick and fairly easy to master. I'd avoid Captain Falcon or Greninja for starters.

Id say start with an all-around character, like Mario. Mario has all of the strength and speed that will get players into Smash. Only thing he's missing is a counter attack...

In my opinion,I think Bayonetta should be replaced by someone else because I think she's too weird to play as and her combo potential is so easy it looks like the players aren't even trying but that's my personal opinion :^/

Reactions: BlackTunicLink
Probably use Mario or Fox since they have some of the easiest moves to chain and aren't overly complicated

Reactions: Julian916
For a starter, I would go by the characters that fit your style. Speedy, Heavy, etc. And then play them all until you get a feeling that you like one.

I recommend ness because he has good f air combos, uses pk fire to keep opponents where they are, and a good back throw. Also nice spike if timed well.

Reactions: Julian916
Other than Mario the best character to start with is LINK. Link has good move and he's in the heavy weight. Plus Link is fairly fast for being a heavy weight. If there is none of the above in the poll I would pick that. The dlc character wasn't the best character to start with but Roy is the best. He's fast and A CLONE OF MARTH

Kirby because if you need to get used to defense and get hit off Kirby can fly. Or Mario because i'm guessing it was a lot of peoples first character in other Smash titles

Mario or Bowser.

Mario has everything, and has great easy combos, perfect for getting you in the combo game, and showing you keen parts in playing. Bowser has great power in weight, so you can stay long and hit hard, but he might not teach you too much about combos and other stuff.

Cloud is a really cool character, and will probably become your main really fast, or at least someone your really good at using. His limit Break system is great, and hard to compete with. If you can use him well, he will just about win every battle you choose.

Play whoever feels comfortable to you :p

Well.. If i had to choose one, I would say Mario. He's an all-around character. Not too slow, not too fast and has simple-ish moves. It entirely depends on what the player is comfortable with, really. But Mario is a good place to start. I would say Pikachu too. Same reasons as Mario. :d

Like most have said Mario is a well rounded character, but I would start with Link as a first character. Link does not have that much defense but he has quite powerful attacks. Also some of his alternate attacks have even more power (the super large bomb). Another good one to start with is Kirby, as he has such a large amount of recovery jumps it is easier to get back on the stage if you got launched off.

Back