Phoenix Wright What is your favourite and hated cases in the Phoenix Wright franchise?

• Thread starter Pandaxclone2
  • Start date

Which is your favourite Phoenix Wright game?

• Total voters
Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Towns Folk
As it says in the title, what is your favourite case in the Phoenix Wright franchise, and what is your most hated case you had to grit your teeth through? And why do you like and hate these cases?

For this thread, any Phoenix Wright spin-off, be it Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, to Ace Attorney Investigations, is acceptable. On top of this you may also state more than one case you like. It doesn't have to be in the same post either.

For obvious reasons if you have not played/completed all of the games, spoilers may be down below.

This game was very clever in giving us cases that require pushing down people's accusations with logic other than certain bits of evidence. (Fingerprints, Photos, etc.) Not only that, I'm really interested in the idea of defending in Witch Trials and love how close it is to how real ones would have played out.

The case's victim is Professor Layton and the defendant is Maya Fey (It's a long story...) Maya has been accused of being a witch so it's up to you to prove that claim false.

Part of why I like this case is actually a funny story as I had accidentally guessed who the real culprit was long before because I forgot the gender of a character and didn't know if they were man or woman. This would lead to some big implications down the line as witches can only be female. Another reason is because of how the circumstances of the case turn out, as it's unexpectedly tragic.

While this game brought a lot to the franchise with new health bars, profiles that can be presented as evidence and the Psyche-locks mechanic, but unfortunately the game suffers being the weakest game in the series because of this case.

You go to the Berry Big Circus to watch the performance of a magician named Max Galactica (and presumably other performers too). Later on you and your assistant turn on the TV and there's been a murder at the circus, with the ringmaster being murdered and Max arrested under suspicion of said murder.

The reason why this is my most hated case is because this case brings almost nothing new to the overall plot (aside from a certain character's death) being obvious filler. The case itself is fine, but it's the characters that bring it down.

You have Max who is borderline narcissistic and doesn't initially aknowledge you. He also comes off as flamboyant, but at the very least he's tolerable when he reverts to his usual self. Even most of the other performers don't like him all that much. Then there's Moe the Clown. I personally don't mind clowns all that much, but he takes his jokes too far and has this really awful music following him around all the time. Same music goes for Ben, who's a ventriloquist that is a nervous wreck without his dummy and vents all of his opposite emotions into said dummy.

So let me know down below what your favourite and despised cases are.

Last edited:
My favorite case is Turnabout Succession from Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney :D It had a really unique plot of solving the two cases whereby one from the past and one from the present and the idea of Phoenix Wright losing his attorney badge and all, it was amazing when I finished that episode. Dual Destinies had a case just similar to this but I like the one from Apollo Justice :p

I don't really have a most hated case to be honest, some cases might be bland in some parts where you play but still in the end it turns out good in some way :p

My favorite case would have to be the fourth case in the first Phoenix Wright game. I enjoyed finding out more about Edgeworth and going up against a different prosecutor.

I absolutely hated the circus case in the second game though...That one drove me nuts. It just was not a good case at all.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Favorite is the last case in Apollo Justice, it was just so emotional. The game itself was very mysterious and dark. I absolutely hated the one with the circus, but the case after that made up for it in many ways.

I want to choose a case from Dual Destinies but none of the cases were inherently bad really. But, they weren't as good as the previous games' , felt like a huge step back from the series. Hope AA6 is good.

But God damn do I hate that circus case.

Oh... This is real tough, my favorite case is most defiantly
because the case was just so emotional with the kids and stuff and the mood matrix, braclet combo was just so amazing. The characters were all so great, and I just enjoyed it so much. It was challenging and simple at the same time
As for my least favorite case:
turnabout big top is garbage if you ask me, I liked no character, the comedy was bland, and I just felt no suspense or guilt whatsoever. The only case where I wished the murderer got away with it.

Do people really hate the circus case? I actually really liked it. My favorite is probably t last case in JFA, and my least favorite has to be the first in JFA. Full circle, I guess.

Do people really hate the circus case? I actually really liked it. My favorite is probably t last case in JFA, and my least favorite has to be the first in JFA. Full circle, I guess.
yeah, case one was boring, although i do love Maggey

Case 2-1 was at least interesting since it just throws Phoenix into a court case without even knowing who he is or what he does.

Case 2-1 was at least interesting since it just throws Phoenix into a court case without even knowing who he is or what he does.
You have a point there, however the case was really lame because unlike every other game in the series, the first case is always pretty good, although 1-1 was boring because it was the intro case. I think they should have just skipped the introduction/tutorial because the first case did a fine job of that. Really, it was just an excuse to teach people the basics if they didnt get the first game, which they should have, and this game only has 3 cases, not to mention the carnival case was trash, so you only had 2 good cases, they should have added a third case.

You have a point there, however the case was really lame because unlike every other game in the series, the first case is always pretty good, although 1-1 was boring because it was the intro case. I think they should have just skipped the introduction/tutorial because the first case did a fine job of that. Really, it was just an excuse to teach people the basics if they didnt get the first game, which they should have, and this game only has 3 cases, not to mention the carnival case was trash, so you only had 2 good cases, they should have added a third case.

The 4 cases is an artifact from the original GBA titles where they literally crammed as much content as they could onto the cart, except Gyakuten Saiban 3 where they bypassed some of it via having a certain villain character being prominent throughout the game and having said character's twin be identical. The 1-5 case was only done to add more to the plot as well as showcase what potential Phoenix Wright cases could do on the DS, which later came to us in the form of Apollo Justice.

I disagree that they should have not included a tutorial. Phoenix Wright games aren't numbered so it makes sense if the games were designed in a way where you could pick up from anywhere. My first Phoenix Wright game was actually Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton, and not the first one, although after playing the game and thoroughly enjoying it I went ahead and got the entire trilogy on 3DS.

I don't have a particular case as my least favourite although there were many moments in Trials and Tribulations which frustrated me. I didn't enjoy that game as much as the first two haha, the first is currently my favourite for sure (yet to play Apollo Justice... need to get it).

Turnabout Succession in Apollo Justice. I liked how Kristoph's plan was a complete failure. The worst cases for me were Phoenix's first two cases. I hate those two cases because the murderer was already revealed. I like the suspense and thrill of knowing who the killer is.

Probably the last case from dual destinies. The entire game was great and had so much depth to it, but the last one was just mind blowing. Least is probably Apollo justice third case, that's where the game started to lose its flow.

My favorite was the final case in Trials and Tribulations. I simply love chapters that have anything to do with the main characters' interactions that are conventional and unusual. C'mon, Edgeworth filling in for Phoenix? Sweet! You know how they're always seen as rivals but right there was straight up camaraderie. The DL-6 incident case from the first game was awesome too.

Teeth-grittingly annoying case? Probably the case Mia never finished; It was the flashback chapter and her first case, I think. Forgot which game, it's been too long.

@Kimopoleis That would be case 3-4.

EDIT: For those not familiar with Ace Attorney fan jargon, "x-y" is to refer to the game number (x) and case number (y) by chronological order. Example: "3-4" is Trials and Tribulations, Case 4. The more you know.

Last edited:
I really loved/hated the last bonus case in ace attorney. It was made just to use the special functionality on the ds, and that just added more ways for you to check evidence, which means that when you don’t know what to do, it takes twice as long to figure it out. The ending part was pretty fun though.

Favourite(s):
I liked most of the cases from Dual Destinies.
Turnabout Countdown was pretty good for a first case, and it actually had relevance to the final case.
Monstrous Turnabout was alright but the characters were annoying
Turnabout Academy one of my favourites, since all three of the kids could have been the killer (plus you play as Athena with Apollo as the asistant)
Turnabout for Tomorrow really, really good. Also creepy.

Rise From The Ashes: Had a slow start but got really intense later on, leading to one of the most satisfying takedowns ever
The First Turnabout: Very good as a first case, with a decent villain
Turnabout Goodbyes: I love this case for a few reasons, but the main one is that feeling i first had when i realised why I still had the metal detector in court.

My most hated:
Cosmic Turnabout: You don't even find the culprit at the end of the trial,

Turnabout Samurai because it's such a pain to move from locations, and for the fact that realistically the trial should have ended on the third day, because you managed to prove that there was no way your client did the killing.

Turnabout Sisters: They hyped up Redd White so hard, and he ended up being a total pushover.

Back