VGC Team Building Guide

• Thread starter EspyyVGC
  • Start date
EspyyVGC

EspyyVGC

Totes profesh
Towns Folk
As an avid VGC player, and as the leader of the new gym, I figured it would be fitting to come up with team building guide since it is slightly different than coming up with one for singles.

First, you need to know the rules! If you don't know them, I would consider checking them out :p

Anyways, I would recommend starting off by choosing a theme for your team. In Australia, the main theme happens to be 'hyper offensive', meaning that cores are usually sweepers. I don't know much elsewhere, but I do believe that there's a defensive metagame currently in Japan. KNOW THE META!

After you've done your research on what Pokemon are 'good', 'great' or 'bad', you can pick your core Pokemon, the one your team centres on. Usually, but not always, it is a Mega.

So you've picked your core. For this example, I will be using Kangakhan. It's an amazing Pokemon, I believe, despite what people say about it being broken and whatever.

Now think, what is this Pokemon's main weakness, whether it is a specific type or specific Pokemon, there will always be a counter. Kangaskhan is normal, so it's weak to fighting (na duh -.-). It's other biggest downfall is Will-o-Wisp. So, it can be KO'ed by Mienshao, who can outspeed with a Fake Out, block Fake Out and Sucker Punch with Quick Guard and can KO with High-Jump-Kick or possibly Life Orb Drain Punch. Who's a good Pokemon to counter Mienshao?

Talonflame! Talonflame can KO with Flare Blitz (not always Brave Bird due to Quick Guard) and being flying it resists Mienshao's STAB. Now what's Talonflame's biggest counter? Rotom-W and Rotom-H. What Pokemon counters those two? Just keep going like this, until you have a draft for a team. I would recommend getting a book to write this stuff in, or record it on a white board, something like that.

Your team has to synergise well! Each Pokemon should be able to support one another, and each should be able to hold it's own ground in battle, and not have to rely on other Pokemon to sweep. A great example is Mega Mawile, at 55 Base Speed, Tyranitar will gladly run circles around it. It shouldn't have to rely on the high base speed of, for example's sake, a Talonflame in order to sweep. It should be able to hold it's own ground.

Some people believe that you should try EV's first then go to a move pool, but personally prefer making up movesets first. It's okay to be unique and run something weird that works. I believe that Pokemon is very much a personal preference game.

There are certain things to note. You have a 15 minute time limit, so setting up to stall or setting up to sweep isn't recommended. DUN DO IT! There are certain exceptions, such as Tyranitar who feeds off of Dragon Dance to sweep, or Azumarill who does the same thing but with Belly Drum. It's also a good idea to have Protect on every Pokemon, with the exception Pokemon that are choiced, to scout out moves. With battling, you'll find situations where Protect will do you good.

Now, you need to do a little bit of more research. To be an effective player, it's best that you look up EV spreads and you look into what EV's are the best. For example, 44HP 36DEF Hydreigon lives a 252 Neutral Garchomp Dragon Claw, and can KO back with the right amount of EV's invested. It's better to do your research and have proper EV's than have the standard 252/252/4 sets that Showdown suggests when you make your team in teambuilder. In saying that, there is certainly nothing wrong with having 252/252/4 sets when you first draft a team, or when you make a sweeper set..! I'd also recommend to use a damage calculator to research your own EV's.

OK! You have your 6 Pokemon, now what?
TEST! I cannot express how important it is to test! There may be a certain flaw in your team that you might not see, so with testing the idea is that you get a chance to see what works and what doesn't. You might even change EV's, sets or Pokemon at this stage.

And of course, once your testing is complete and you are 200% satisfied with how your team functions, you can battle! Whether it be the ladder on Showdown, or a tournament such as Nationals.

Hope I helped!
Reply if you want personal advice, or if this helped!

Lates!

Reactions: CrazyElf, 532 and Eevee
I would believe you when you say Japan has a defense based meta with like say Regen Slowbro and Goodra and maybe some more little things here and there. Like say my favorite teams involve stat boosts and expert stalling forcing your opponent to switch so you have a better set however it is great to run offensive to keep your opponents from setting up as well. I also think Protect is a popular VGC move just to play anything safe. Typing and strategies are good things to think about as well like say you can control the weather a lot and you have a team that can take the weather. Great guide and don't forget how to use your team (prediction is key)!

Mat block greninja op

Mat block greninja op
Not really, it doesn't Protect from status and it isn't Priority

True,but it protects your partner! :)

You certainly sound like you know a bit ;)
I'll be happy to accept any challenges :D
I would believe you when you say Japan has a defense based meta with like say Regen Slowbro and Goodra and maybe some more little things here and there. Like say my favorite teams involve stat boosts and expert stalling forcing your opponent to switch so you have a better set however it is great to run offensive to keep your opponents from setting up as well. I also think Protect is a popular VGC move just to play anything safe. Typing and strategies are good things to think about as well like say you can control the weather a lot and you have a team that can take the weather. Great guide and don't forget how to use your team (prediction is key)!

Thank you for the in-depth guide. I hope this will come handy for me.
On a side note, it is worth having at least one rapid-spinner and healer on your team. Stealth rock is a very popular entry hazard, and can wipe the grin of the face of a Charizard or Multiscale Dragonite.
A healer with a high HP stat like Vaporeon can use Wish and switch out to a Pokemon low on HP, and the Pokemon just switched in will get a major recovery boost due to the high HP stat of thw wisher

Thank you for the in-depth guide. I hope this will come handy for me.
On a side note, it is worth having at least one rapid-spinner and healer on your team. Stealth rock is a very popular entry hazard, and can wipe the grin of the face of a Charizard or Multiscale Dragonite.
A healer with a high HP stat like Vaporeon can use Wish and switch out to a Pokemon low on HP, and the Pokemon just switched in will get a major recovery boost due to the high HP stat of thw wisher

I've been playing VGC 2014 since February and I haven't seen a single stealth rock, not even from the newer players who have just started. Most players see it as a waste of a turn in doubles. Health support isn't terrible, however the moveslot/ Pokemon slot can often be up to better use. I, myself have tried health recovery in the form of Espeon, but I just never came to use it. The only reason I used it at Regionals Melbourne was because I needed a sure-fire way of countering Smeargle.

Though this is a personal thing, I often see VGC as a format where you need to kill off everything in the quickest and efficient way possible. Again, it's a personal thing but it's the way I see it :D

Reactions: 532
As an avid VGC player, and as the leader of the new gym, I figured it would be fitting to come up with team building guide since it is slightly different than coming up with one for singles.

First, you need to know the rules! If you don't know them, I would consider checking them out :p

Anyways, I would recommend starting off by choosing a theme for your team. In Australia, the main theme happens to be 'hyper offensive', meaning that cores are usually sweepers. I don't know much elsewhere, but I do believe that there's a defensive metagame currently in Japan. KNOW THE META!

After you've done your research on what Pokemon are 'good', 'great' or 'bad', you can pick your core Pokemon, the one your team centres on. Usually, but not always, it is a Mega.

So you've picked your core. For this example, I will be using Kangakhan. It's an amazing Pokemon, I believe, despite what people say about it being broken and whatever.

Now think, what is this Pokemon's main weakness, whether it is a specific type or specific Pokemon, there will always be a counter. Kangaskhan is normal, so it's weak to fighting (na duh -.-). It's other biggest downfall is Will-o-Wisp. So, it can be KO'ed by Mienshao, who can outspeed with a Fake Out, block Fake Out and Sucker Punch with Quick Guard and can KO with High-Jump-Kick or possibly Life Orb Drain Punch. Who's a good Pokemon to counter Mienshao?

Talonflame! Talonflame can KO with Flare Blitz (not always Brave Bird due to Quick Guard) and being flying it resists Mienshao's STAB. Now what's Talonflame's biggest counter? Rotom-W and Rotom-H. What Pokemon counters those two? Just keep going like this, until you have a draft for a team. I would recommend getting a book to write this stuff in, or record it on a white board, something like that.

Your team has to synergise well! Each Pokemon should be able to support one another, and each should be able to hold it's own ground in battle, and not have to rely on other Pokemon to sweep. A great example is Mega Mawile, at 55 Base Speed, Tyranitar will gladly run circles around it. It shouldn't have to rely on the high base speed of, for example's sake, a Talonflame in order to sweep. It should be able to hold it's own ground.

Some people believe that you should try EV's first then go to a move pool, but personally prefer making up movesets first. It's okay to be unique and run something weird that works. I believe that Pokemon is very much a personal preference game.

There are certain things to note. You have a 15 minute time limit, so setting up to stall or setting up to sweep isn't recommended. DUN DO IT! There are certain exceptions, such as Tyranitar who feeds off of Dragon Dance to sweep, or Azumarill who does the same thing but with Belly Drum. It's also a good idea to have Protect on every Pokemon, with the exception Pokemon that are choiced, to scout out moves. With battling, you'll find situations where Protect will do you good.

Now, you need to do a little bit of more research. To be an effective player, it's best that you look up EV spreads and you look into what EV's are the best. For example, 44HP 36DEF Hydreigon lives a 252 Neutral Garchomp Dragon Claw, and can KO back with the right amount of EV's invested. It's better to do your research and have proper EV's than have the standard 252/252/4 sets that Showdown suggests when you make your team in teambuilder. In saying that, there is certainly nothing wrong with having 252/252/4 sets when you first draft a team, or when you make a sweeper set..! I'd also recommend to use a damage calculator to research your own EV's.

OK! You have your 6 Pokemon, now what?
TEST! I cannot express how important it is to test! There may be a certain flaw in your team that you might not see, so with testing the idea is that you get a chance to see what works and what doesn't. You might even change EV's, sets or Pokemon at this stage.

And of course, once your testing is complete and you are 200% satisfied with how your team functions, you can battle! Whether it be the ladder on Showdown, or a tournament such as Nationals.

Hope I helped!
Reply if you want personal advice, or if this helped!

Lates!
I'm not entirely understanding this perhaps you can help me
Look here ----> http://forum.3dspedia.com/threads/help-me-build-a-team-around-these-two-pokemon.24215/

True,but it protects your partner! :)
Is good on paper, but in practice is really easy to shut dowsn

Is good on paper, but in practice is really easy to shut dowsn
You responded to a post posted nearly two years ago. I don't know what to say to this...

You responded to a post posted nearly two years ago. I don't know what to say to this...
What?
*Checks date*
Wow, I didn't noticed this thing was so old
I never noticed this thread before, so I thought it was new or something
Sorry :v

Back