SSB for 3DS Tips for stopping lag in Smash Bros. for 3DS

• Thread starter 3391
  • Start date

Aspiring Pokemon Master
Towns Folk
I'm going to share a little trick so to say about stopping random lag in matches. This is not for input lag but only mid-battle lag (sry about that =/)

Tip 1. If you start experiencing mid-battle lag don't press any buttons until the lag is over.

Tip 2. If your problems haven't stopped try backing away from your opponent and standing still for a few seconds (5-15 should do)

Tip 3 (thanks to Artisan):If you have an all around laggy connection and you know it's not you just change the opponent you are facing after the battle. Turn off or at least get rid of any music or videos on your computer if a window is open with them, it's really worth the trouble and the 3DS/Wii U has better music anyways. Because if you are getting information with a router or something it's best not to make it do too much at one time.

Tip 4 (pretty much a recap of Artisan's in case you didn't understand): The less stuff you're doing with the internet the better. If your tablet is using the internet and you don't really need it, turn it off. The less things using your internet the better ;) As said before try not to listen to as much music during the battles and stuff (remember you don't HAVE to do this but it'll help).

NOTE: This seems to work for the wii u too but I don't have as much lag so it's harder to tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mizunil, Derplink_:3, Troy21 and 16 others
Hmm, this is interesting. Thanks for the tips @pacegym. I'll probably find time to try these tips out for myself and see if they work. The lag that comes about from online matches in this game is almost unbearable. So I really appreciate a post like this.

Whoa they actually work! Thanks you helped a lot!

Whoa they actually work! Thanks you helped a lot!
Glad I could help!

Thanks :) Now the only problem is making sure the other guy knows this too :p

Reactions: Derplink_:3, 423, Robyn and 4 others
Thanks :) Now the only problem is making sure the other guy knows this too :p
Could you possibly sticky this sense it seems to be helping? That way more people can know about this.

Reactions: 18
great tip!

Reactions: 3391
huh. I will try this thanks for informing us!

Reactions: 3391
Wow Thanks very much!

Reactions: koopa_kitten and 3391
good tip i'll try that now

Wow, thanks a lot! It does work :)
I would like to ask: Do you know how this works? What is it that causes the lag to stop? My reasoning is that when you stay still, your character does not send any signals to the server, and doing so reduces the stress off the server, allowing it to get back its bearings and start functioning normally. However, if the latency is bad, then there is almostnothing that can be done about it. There would be a lot of traffic on the internet, and that would also slow down the responses from the server.

Reactions: Jisenku
I'm going to share a little trick so to say about stopping random lag in matches. This is not for input lag but only mid-battle lag (sry about that =/)

Tip 1. If you start experiencing mid-battle lag don't press any buttons until the lag is over.

Tip 2. If your problems haven't stopped try backing away from your opponent and standing still for a few seconds (5-15 should do)

NOTE: This seems to work for the wii u too but I don't have as much lag so it's harder to tell.
This didn't work in my most recent battle yesterday with Megalegacy. It was really slow for the whole battle. Like half Brawl's speed. I have some of my own tips I'd like to add as well.

If you have an all around laggy connection and you know it's not you just change the opponent you are facing after the battle. Turn off or at least get rid of any music or videos on your computer if a window is open with them, it's really worth the trouble and the 3DS/Wii U has better music anyways. Because if you are getting information with a router or something it's best not to make it do too much at one time.

Reactions: 532
Wow, thanks a lot! It does work :)
I would like to ask: Do you know how this works? What is it that causes the lag to stop? My reasoning is that when you stay still, your character does not send any signals to the server, and doing so reduces the stress off the server, allowing it to get back its bearings and start functioning normally. However, if the latency is bad, then there is almostnothing that can be done about it. There would be a lot of traffic on the internet, and that would also slow down the responses from the server.
I think so too. That's probably why the match will stop if you keep pressing buttons while it's freezing up.

This didn't work in my most recent battle yesterday with Megalegacy. It was really slow for the whole battle. Like half Brawl's speed. I have some of my own tips I'd like to add as well.

If you have an all around laggy connection and you know it's not you just change the opponent you are facing after the battle. Turn off or at least get rid of any music or videos on your computer if a window is open with them, it's really worth the trouble and the 3DS/Wii U has better music anyways. Because if you are getting information with a router or something it's best not to make it do too much at one time.
I'll probably put that in too.
But yes this would work because the less your internet has to process stuff, the faster it'll be.

These tips worked for me i tried them today. Also finally got my Wii U Back!!!

I've pretty much given up on online smash on my 3ds :/ my internet sucks! All I can do 1 vs 1 just not group battles, I guess I'll just stick with those; and the campaign modes and such

Thanks for the advice! I hope it works the next time I play.

Thanks for the advice man I used them to play online and local and they were useful,thanks again.Also if you have any other tips you
better write the they are very useful

Wow this is very useful. Thank you so much!!

oh thanks alot. btw did you get any pc from our shop?

Back