The CENSORSHIP Thread!

• Thread starter bintin125
  • Start date
bintin125

bintin125

The Top Hat Man
Towns Folk
Has one of your favorite games ever been censored in the process of translation for worse? If so, this is the thread to complain about that censorship. complain. Complain! COMPLAIN!!!(about censorship by the way).
Screenshot 2016-05-20 at 3.53.43 PM.png

Weren't there originally bars in Mother 2/EarthBound? I think they were changed into regular restaurants for the American release.

Weren't there originally bars in Mother 2/EarthBound? I think they were changed into regular restaurants for the American release.
Yep. In fact in the post-game, you can see Porky's dad getting drunk at a bar.

I generally dislike censorship of all kinds.

If a game is controversial, let it be so. Censoring games makes everyone outside of Japan seem like wusses, seriously.

I generally dislike censorship of all kinds.

If a game is controversial, let it be so. Censoring games makes everyone outside of Japan seem like wusses, seriously.
I guess so, but remember that Japan has a culture where nudity is completely normal, unlike other places.

For some odd reason, I am glad for censorship. I can play a video game knowing that my little sister or Mom and Dad won't have to see some suggestive things. Also, because of censorship, games are rated Teen and not Mature, so I am able to buy them without needing parent permission.

Reactions: Slayerpon Tatsu
I guess so, but remember that Japan has a culture where nudity is completely normal, unlike other places.

For some odd reason, I am glad for censorship. I can play a video game knowing that my little sister or Mom and Dad won't have to see some suggestive things. Also, because of censorship, games are rated Teen and not Mature, so I am able to buy them without needing parent permission.
Well, that may only be for you, as here a ten-year-old can just go to the store and get whatever games they want, even 18+, making game ratings obsolete, but censorship REALLY annoying! I want nudity, gore, violence, fear and so on in my games if that was in the original too! Thankfully, only a handful of games get censored here, which is a pretty good thing! I want to enjoy games the way they were meant to, so if they start censoring more, I'll have to get pirated uncensored versions or order the originals from abroad!

Anybody here remember this?
iu

Reactions: Malladus, Slayerpon Tatsu, Blue Knight and 1 other person
Well, that may only be for you, as here a ten-year-old can just go to the store and get whatever games they want, even 18+, making game ratings obsolete, but censorship REALLY annoying! I want nudity, gore, violence, fear and so on in my games if that was in the original too! Thankfully, only a handful of games get censored here, which is a pretty good thing! I want to enjoy games the way they were meant to, so if they start censoring more, I'll have to get pirated uncensored versions or order the originals from abroad!
I guess that makes sense. One big problem with the censorship on certain games is the fact that the story changes, which is either a good or bad thing. I do see your point, there is no excuse for censoring a bit of skin. I mean, its not like teens are unexposed to nudity anyways.

Reactions: Tho
I guess that makes sense. One big problem with the censorship on certain games is the fact that the story changes, which is either a good or bad thing. I do see your point, there is no excuse for censoring a bit of skin. I mean, its not like teens are unexposed to nudity anyways.
Censoring things like skin just because it may remotely indicate something sexual is really annoying! Most of the censorship is because some parents are way too irresponsible to bother pay attention to their kid, leaving the companies to do what is actually the parent's responsibility, while the rest is because of all those idiots who get offended by every little thing! And if you think about it, censoring is a completely retarded method of "protecting" younger audiences, since a 10 year old kid can just go on an adult website and the only means of protection measure is a "Are you at least 18 years old?" yes/no question, like anyone will hit no!:p But what really has bugged me the most is how some developers have actually censored 18+ games, like how they were gonna make a gore-free version of God of War for a couple of countries!:mad:

Reactions: TheSpiritedWarrior and Blue Knight
This thread is going pretty well. Much better than I ever would have expected.

I really detest the censorship. I mean, if censoring it makes sure that Fire Emblem Fates isn't M (Because unlike the rest of the general population, I'm not allowed to play M rated games) I'm okay with it, but I think that this:
Censoring games makes everyone outside of Japan seem like wusses, seriously.
Is true. And I'm not a guy who plays Hunie Pop everyday, but so what? There's a bit of nudity? It's called a swimsuit.

Reactions: Blue Knight
I really detest the censorship. I mean, if censoring it makes sure that Fire Emblem Fates isn't M (Because unlike the rest of the general population, I'm not allowed to play M rated games) I'm okay with it, but I think that this:
Is true. And I'm not a guy who plays Hunie Pop everyday, but so what? There's a bit of nudity? It's called a swimsuit.
About the little bit of nudity, people need to realize it's not sexual until you make it out to be! People in the west are unfortunately more close-minded to these things than Japanese people are and that's where censorship started with games, but it has gone WAY too far lately!

Reactions: Blue Knight
i know its like we are wussies or something like the actual mario 2 they didnt release it because they said it was too hard.WELL THEN DONT BUY IT I MEAN ITS THAT SIMPLE.sorry just why we cant take nudity or something

i know its like we are wussies or something like the actual mario 2 they didnt release it because they said it was too hard.WELL THEN DONT BUY IT I MEAN ITS THAT SIMPLE.sorry just why we cant take nudity or something
If people don't buy it, why localize it? They only censor games in order to localized them! You gotta consider how much it costs to localize something, meaning that unless it sells well, there's no point in it! It's either censor or not localize, simple! However, difficulty has nothing to do with censoring! Mario 2 didn't get censored, it got replaced entirely, Devil May Cry 1-3 didn't get censored, they simply had the difficulty lowered and so on! Censoring means nudity, gore, etc..

Most of the time, I'm glad that there are censorship, because this guarantees several games to be able to released overseas, not to mention that my country doesn't like it if objectionable content is in any medias without their consent (especially nudity, which is obviously taboo in my place). Besides, some gamers want to play games without said content as well. However, I've seen some cases that censorship can cause more issues if it's done in the wrong way.

Anybody remember The Electric Soldier Porygon? Where Pikachu's attack causing seizures caused Porygon to unfairly never be seen in the anime? Like, just have the regional nerd (Bill, for example) show that, with technology, they can now give data flesh. No need for digitized lightning, no risk of seizures. Porygon wouldn't even need to do much butblook happy in the suggested scenario.

Anybody remember The Electric Soldier Porygon? Where Pikachu's attack causing seizures caused Porygon to unfairly never be seen in the anime? Like, just have the regional nerd (Bill, for example) show that, with technology, they can now give data flesh. No need for digitized lightning, no risk of seizures. Porygon wouldn't even need to do much butblook happy in the suggested scenario.
The main reason is that back in the day it was too much trouble making episodes, so when it got pulled, there wasn't any worth in remaking the episode or making a new one! If we go about censoring in Pokemon though, don't forget that Dratini has never been shown outside of Japan since the Pokemon Safari episode included a gun-wielding warden, making it inappropriate for kids in the west. I just wish People would be less annoying when it comes to censoring, since if there weren't problems like this we would have a Pokemon Adventures anime, based on the manga, with deaths, beheadings and so on, instead of a lame guy who can't even evolve 6 Pokemon in 70 episodes and beat the prelims for the Pokemon League!

I think the main problem with the Pokemon anime is how it tries so hard to make it seem as though violence and sexuality don't exist, to the point it gets seriously absurd.

Look at the games, for example. They don't SHOW explicit content, but at the same time they don't try hiding them, they just go without mention. In the anime, they go out of their way to make the world seem like a sugar bowl, which is not how it is.

They can have the subtle implication of it, but not actively try to deny it exists. It's quite baffling when one second you have Pokemon on the TV, with all it's sanctity, then you turn on the news and we get war, death, dismemberment, assassinations and whatnot

The censorship in TMS is stupid. I COULD HAVE A TEAM MATE IN A SPEEDO DANG IT

The main reason is that back in the day it was too much trouble making episodes, so when it got pulled, there wasn't any worth in remaking the episode or making a new one! If we go about censoring in Pokemon though, don't forget that Dratini has never been shown outside of Japan since the Pokemon Safari episode included a gun-wielding warden, making it inappropriate for kids in the west. I just wish People would be less annoying when it comes to censoring, since if there weren't problems like this we would have a Pokemon Adventures anime, based on the manga, with deaths, beheadings and so on, instead of a lame guy who can't even evolve 6 Pokemon in 70 episodes and beat the prelims for the Pokemon League!

Hrm? Oh, I never said to remake it, I just said it would be nice to have Porygon (and now that you mention it, Dratini) in the anime finally. I can understand why it was cut, but that doesn't mean porygon deserves such a rep it didn't earn.

Back