Pokémon X&Y Breeding Guide

• Thread starter BjFauble
  • Start date
since you are the expert - i was wondering if you have a perfect iv pokemon - if u breed the 6iv pokemon with a normal ditto - will the next pokemon get the 6 iv's too ?

since you are the expert - i was wondering if you have a perfect iv pokemon - if u breed the 6iv pokemon with a normal ditto - will the next pokemon get the 6 iv's too ?

I assume you mean a Ditto with no IV's? No, actually. The Destiny Knot passes down 5IV's from both parents, so it's very likely you'll get some random IV's from the Ditto.

so what if for example I get a

a 5 iv ditto + a 5 iv bulbasuar = child 5 iv bulbasaur ? correct

what would a 5 iv ditto + normal bulbasuar = ??

normal ditto + a 5 iv bulbasuar = ??

pls explain

a 5 iv ditto + a 5 iv bulbasuar = Not necessarily. Since a Pokémon has 6IV's, it's possible you may pass down the bad 6th IV.

what would a 5 iv ditto + normal bulbasuar = As I said before, it passes down 5 random IV's, so which IV's it will have is selected by random.

normal ditto + a 5 iv bulbasuar = Same as above.

there is no need to have a pokemon with 6 perfect ivs, it just needs 5, for example goodra does not need perfect iv on speed , or a trevenant impish nature with perfect ivs on attack it does not need it.

there is no need to have a pokemon with 6 perfect ivs, it just needs 5, for example goodra does not need perfect iv on speed , or a trevenant impish nature with perfect ivs on attack it does not need it.
the only pokemon that has need for 6 perfect IVs is Ditto (but it'd be a miracle to get one)

Actually, having 6IV's is really convenient for breeding. The stat Goodra doesn't need is Attack, or Special Attack (depending on how you wish to use it).

Reactions: ShinyLatios
a 5 iv ditto + a 5 iv bulbasuar = Not necessarily. Since a Pokémon has 6IV's, it's possible you may pass down the bad 6th IV.

what would a 5 iv ditto + normal bulbasuar = As I said before, it passes down 5 random IV's, so which IV's it will have is selected by random.

normal ditto + a 5 iv bulbasuar = Same as above.

so what do you mean ?
5 iv ditto + a 5 iv bulbasuar =
how bout if both were 6 iv pokemon ?
will the little one have 6 ivs ?

so what do you mean ?
5 iv ditto + a 5 iv bulbasuar =
how bout if both were 6 iv pokemon ?
will the little one have 6 ivs ?

If you were to breed a 5IV Pokémon with another 5IV Pokémon, there would still be two bad IV's it could pass down, but it's unlikely.

No, if you breed two 6IV Pokémon, you'll only be guaranteed a 5IV, and the 6th IV has a 1/31 chance of being perfect.

If you were to breed a 5IV Pokémon with another 5IV Pokémon, there would still be two bad IV's it could pass down, but it's unlikely.

No, if you breed two 6IV Pokémon, you'll only be guaranteed a 5IV, and the 6th IV has a 1/31 chance of being perfect.
ok thanks for your help
so to make things clear - breed two 6 iv pokemon the spawn will be a 5iv with small chance of perfect right ?

ok thanks for your help
so to make things clear - breed two 6 iv pokemon the spawn will be a 5iv with small chance of perfect right ?

Yeah, that's right. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's right. Good luck! :thumbsup:
ok thank you for the help !!! :p
thanks

Wow. I wish people do not simply stop playing Pokemon X and Y when I get this game. There is so much fun waiting for me, it seems like. Competitive battling, Pokemon Breeding, Pokemon Trading, Pokemon Selling. I am going to get my hands on this game ASAP, and battle you guys sometimes :):love::giggle::hug:

Wow. I wish people do not simply stop playing Pokemon X and Y when I get this game. There is so much fun waiting for me, it seems like. Competitive battling, Pokemon Breeding, Pokemon Trading, Pokemon Selling. I am going to get my hands on this game ASAP, and battle you guys sometimes :):love::giggle::hug:

People won't stop playing until the new games come out. :p

Reactions: ShinyLatios
People won't stop playing until the new games come out. :p
Oh Yeah1 That's something good to hear. Hopefully its not coming out the day after I buy Pokemon X, like it happened with the Wii :D :Oops:

Introduction

You want to be a Pokémon Breeder do you? Well, you're going to have to understand it a little bit if you want to stand a chance in competitive Pokémon battles. Although creating a Pokémon with flawless 31/31/31/31/31/31 IV's is very rarely required, it is very easily possible in X and Y, and doesn't take nearly as much time as it has in previous versions of Pokémon.

This guide will hopefully help you understand many aspects of the Day Care, and I'll go through as many examples as I can in each instance.

Before we start, you'll need to:

Beat the Elite 4 and unlock the Battle Maison in Kiloude City

This is required so we can get ourselves the following items:

• Power Weight
  • Power Bracer
  • Power Belt
  • Power Lens
  • Power Band
  • Power Anklet

These all cost 16BP in the Battle Maison. This will take around 40 minutes - 1 hour to grind for. Just use the Multi-Battle feature, and select "No" when it asks to communicate with a friend. You'll be able to choose a random person from a list of your friends.

Everstone and Destiny Knot

Now that we have our Power Items, if you don't have the above items already, it's time to seek them out also. We'll need an Everstone for manipulating Pokémon Natures, and a Destiny knot to pass on IV's later in our breeding stage.
    • Everstone: The Everstone is found in Geosenge Town and is given by a scientist in the left house behind the Pokémon Center.
    • Destiny Knot: Fly to Cyllage City and visit Hotel Cyllage. There, go to the second floor, and talk to the maid. She will give you the Destiny Knot for free!

Ditto Friend Safari

Of course you'll need to seek out a friend with this safari first! Though, you'll find any level 30-40 Ditto on the GTS is one of these special Ditto's, so trade for a bunch of them in the GTS if you need to.

We have all the items we need, so what's next? First, we'll need to seek out a bunch of Friend Safari Ditto's. Yep, Ditto's. This is because a Ditto can breed with almost any other Pokémon and make an egg. The Friend Safari also gives us a very nice bonus - it automatically ensures that each Ditto has a minimum of 2 PERFECT IV values. This means that we can breed with any Pokémon we want and pass on perfect IV's to the next generation immediately. There will still be some luck involved, but I assure you this won't take very long thanks to this method.

What I would suggest, is that you catch a bunch of Ditto's and take them to the IV checker in the Kiloude City Pokémon Center. He is found at the top by the clothes changing part. This guy will tell you which IV's are perfect. For example he may say "This Ditto has superior potential, it's highest stat lies in it's Attack... But it's defense is also good... Stats like those simply cannot be beat!"

This means this Ditto has very good ATTACK and DEFENSE IV's. I would then take this Ditto to the Name Rater, and name it "Atk: Def", so that I know this Ditto is my Attack and Defense IV's breeder.

Okay, we are now prepared to breed, so we won't ever need to do the above steps ever again!

#1 Hatch the Nature of your choice!

The first step is to choose a Pokémon to breed. The choice is yours, of course. For this example, I will simply use Goomy! Therefore, I'll take a Goomy and breed it with a Ditto. No items are required here, as we are seeking the correct Nature first.

Right, so our Goomy and Ditto are making eggs in the Day Care, and you should have a bunch of eggs to collect and hatch. The goal here is to hatch one with the Nature you want, and if it's female, even better. Keep on hatching! I want a Modest Nature myself, so I'll keep going untill I get that. Forget about the Ability at this moment, unless you want a Hidden Ability (in which case the Pokémon you're breeding at this stage should have that Ability to pass on again and again). I personally leave Ability untill the end, since it tends to be random, but it's essential you always pass down the Hidden Ability if you want to keep that.

#2 Perfect IV Stat Stage 1

Alright, so we now have the correct Nature. Next use the newly hatched Goomy with the Modest Nature, and give it the Everstone to hold. All new generations of hatched Goomy's will always be Modest now! Therefore, Nature is ticked off the list. Let's call this new Goomy, Goomy II, and swap it for the original Goomy you used initially to begin this process.

Take out the Ditto too, and let's start with the IV process. What we need to do is make our Ditto hold a Power Item that boosts an IV we want perfect. For example, a Modest Goomy will want perfect Special Attack, so I'll make my Ditto with perfect Special Attack and make it hold the Power Lens. With Goomy II holding the Everstone and Ditto holding the Power Lens, the baby I hatch next (known as Goomy III), is guaranteed to be a Modest Nature with a Perfect 31 Special Attack IV!

#3 Perfect IV Stat Stage 2

Now it's a case of being logical and repeating the process. We now have Goomy III who is feeling pretty good with that Nature and IV stat, but we can make him even more powerful still. It's now a case of selecting another Ditto with a different set of perfect IV's (i.e. Speed and Defense) and breeding with our new Goomy III to create Goomy IV. Make Ditto hold a different power item, like Power Anklet to pass down Speed, and ensure Modest Goomy III is still holding the Everstone.

It may take a few eggs, and a few trips to Kiloude to test the newly hatched Pokemon, but eventually you will end up with a Pokémon that has 2 perfect IV values. In my case, my Goomy IV will have perfect Special Attack and Speed thanks to the Ditto's I've been breeding with. We're certainly getting there, slowly but surely!

#4 Perfect IV Stat Stage 3

Awesome, so we have Goomy IV with 2 perfect IV's. It's time to breed it again with a different Ditto with 2 different IV's of it's own (Let's go with HP and Defense). Combined, Goomy IV and this new Ditto have a total of 4 perfect IV's, making our Goomy V have a very high chance of getting 3 perfect IV's of it's own.

Basically we want:

Goomy IV: 31 Special Attack, 31 Speed
    Ditto: 31 HP, 31 Defense
    -- Potential IV values: 31/x/31/31/x/31
    Goal: 31/x/31/31/x/31

We want to hatch another Goomy, known as Goomy V with at least 3 perfect IV's. This will range from the values above. As always, make Goomy hold the Everstone, and Ditto hold the Power Item of choice (The HP one, or the Defense one, to pass down a guarantee'd IV value).

Again it's now a case of hatching eggs and getting a bit of luck on your side. Take it to the man in Kiloude City until you get a Goomy V with 3 perfect IV's.

#5 Perfect IV Stat Stage 4

Right, now that we have Goomy V, a Pokémon with 3 perfect IV's, it's time to keep doing the same as before; breed with a different Ditto, with 2 different IV values. This time however, we are not going to use a Power Item. Ditto's from here on will be using the Destiny Knot. This item will pass down a guaranteed 5 IV values from the parents! Amazing! With luck on your side, this will be absolutely essential to creating powerful Pokémon with ease.

Without further ado, I'm sure you know the drill by now. Goomy V with Everstone, and Ditto with Destiny Knot, pop them into the Daycare! What we should aim for:

Goomy V: 31 Special Attack, 31 Speed, 31 HP @ Everstone
    Ditto: 31 Defense, 31 Special Defense @ Destiny Knot

Ensure you have a total 5 IV's between the two in the Daycare and hatch those eggs!

The goal this time is to breed Goomy VI with 4 perfect IV values. Therefore, keep hatching until the Kiloude City man says something along the lines of "This Pokemon has outstanding potential! It's Special Attack stat is the best, but it's Speed is also good, as well as the HP stat, and it's Defense is great too! These stats simply cannot be beat!"

That means we are successful in hatching our Pokémon with 4 IV's!

The next stage is the exact same as above, but with Goomy VI instead. Basically, we want to get a Goomy with 5 perfect IV's of each gender now, so this will take a fair bit of hatching! This will be the recommended setup:

Goomy VI: 31 Special Attack, 31 Speed, 31 HP, 31 Defense @ Everstone
    Ditto: 31 Special Defense, 31 Attack @ Destiny Knot

This ensures all IV values are available and the chances are high for you to get your Pokémon with 5 IV's, both male and female. Again, a bit of luck is needed, but the formula is definitely there. Keep hatching until you have Goomy VII: Male & Goomy VIII: Female, both with 5 perfect IV's.

#6 Perfect IV Stat Final Stage

Okay! We've worked hard, and we have a male and female Pokémon with 5 perfect IV's each. This is useful as the Pokémon get along well, giving you quick eggs, and the Destiny Knot and Everstone guarantee you a perfect Nature, and 5 IV's from the parents to the baby. We're going to make our final Goomy now, known as Goomy IX! Simply use this setup:

Male Goomy VII: 5 perfect IV's @ Destiny Knot
    Female Goomy VIII: 5 perfect IV's @ Everstone

Hatch eggs until you are lucky enough for the Kiloude City man to tell you that your Pokémon has managed to obtain all 6 perfect IV values! Personally, 5 IV's are enough for competitive battling, but if you want that perfect 6, this is the most successful method of obtaining it! If you have any questions, please do post below and I'll get back to you.
thanks alot

Wow this was really useful! Thanks!

There we have it, so we have either a perfect 6 IV Pokémon of 31/31/31/31/31/31 or a awesome 5 IV Pokémon! The beauty of this is that we can now use the Destiny Knot with the male Pokémon you have hatched to breed with another species of Pokémon in the same egg group to skip A LOT of these steps. For example, I can breed a Goomy with a Charmander (Both in the Dragon egg group), to very swiftly create a super awesome Charmander with very good IV values. Again get the correct Nature with Charmander, then use a male Goomy with Destiny Knot and a female Charmander with Everstone, and breed them. Hatch a few eggs until you're satisfied. This is a quick way to perfect your whole team. Of course, you can only breed with the right egg groups this way, and the above steps may have to be repeated if you want perfect IV's among all egg groups. For more information on egg groups, and to know which Pokémon belongs to what, use this:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_Egg_Group

Shiny Pokémon

Although there is no "easy" way of obtaining PERFECT shiny Pokémon, in fact it's a lot more work and luck. There is a method known as the Masuda Method - which basically means if you breed your Pokémon with another from a different region (i.e. a German Phantum with a Japanese Ditto), the shiny rate is significantly increased, by about 6x - 7x. You can breed with any 2 regions of your choice and this method will automatically be applied:

French, German, Spanish, American, Great Britain, Japan, Korea... Breed any 2 different Pokémon and see those shinies hatch more frequently. This -could- be applied with great IV values if you're extremely lucky and have a lot of time on your hands. If you get a perfect 5 or 6 IV Pokmon holding Destiny Knot and breed it with a foreign one with a Everstone (ensuring Nature is correct), you could end up with a shiny pokemon that has a perfect nature, and very sweet IV values. Definitely nothing to be ashamed of! May luck be on your side! If you're looking for 5-6 IV Pokémon from different regions, I recommend checking out Serebii Forums. There are many breeders their that may be able to hep you get what you're looking for!

Various Tips

A Pokémon with the ability Flame Body or Magma Armor can cut the steps required to hatch an egg significantly, as well as the Egg Hatching O-Power.

I recommend using a Talonflame with Flame Body when breeding. It's extremely useful to be able to fly to Kiloude City back and forth without having to switch Pokémon every time.

As I said at the end of my first post, feel free to leave any additional questions below. I hope this guide has been of help to you!
I have a question. I am trying to breed a 5IV Hawlucha, and I only have one Ditto with 3 perfect IV's. I do not have anyone with Ditto's in their safari so it is quite difficult to obtain one with good IVs.
I have 2 Hawluchas, 1 with the nature I want(This one has good attack but low Sp.def) (Female) and One with the nature I don't wan't(Higher Sp.def than other Hawlucha) . But it covers up the low Sp.def of my other Hawlucha.. I give this Hawlucha the power item to pass down the Sp.Def, and the one with the nature the Everstone. I only have hatched one egg from those Hawlucha's, but i did not get the Sp.Def covered by my other parent. These Hawlucha have been bred by one ditto, but one has Low attack and the other has Low Sp.Def. I am breeding them but I get a baby with low Sp.Def and good attack.
If you can help me, it would be appreciated.

This was a very good guide to help to start breeding

What would be a good nature for bulbasaur?

Back