(Outdated) Sablenite has been banned from OU

• Thread starter Leviathinian
  • Start date
L

Leviathinian

jdOo0zp.jpg

As of 2:26 PM EST on Thursday, November 17th, voting concluded on the Smogon forums that Sablenite would be banned from OU. If you check Smogon now, Mega Sableye is listed as Uber.
I personally don't use it, but I know this is some big news for some of you.
What are your thoughts?
R.I.P. Mega-Sableye

Here's some proof for those who like that kind of stuff:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ss-round-7-voting.3586914/page-3#post-7088252

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally prefer Prankster Sableye over Mega Sableye but I can kinda see why he would be listed Uber.
After all, Mega Sableye has a good amount of bulk and access to a lot of great utility moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Recover, Fake Out, and more. What's more is just the fact that he can't be statused because of Magic Bounce. The combination of his 125 Defense and 115 Sp. Defense, access to utility moves, and immunity from status is probably why they sent him off to Ubers.

Also a good number of things were unbanned from Uber today as well, in prep for the Sun and Moon Pokemon

When I made my "The Issue with Smogon" thread a while ago, I explained the 3 reasons why ban a Pokémon

It must be either Broken, Uncompetitive or Unhealthy

Sableye wasn't broken, and in the ORAS meta, there was enough checks to it to make it not even the best Pokémon in OU
Sableye wasn't uncompetitive, since nothing about him was really luck based or unfair

but... Sableye was definetly unhealthy

In short words, something unhealthy to the meta, is something that can affect negatively teambuilding, limiting the Pokémon you can or can't use

When figthing Stall, there is 3 main ways to beat it, using hazards pressure, using stallbreakers and using wallbreakers

There are only 3 Pokémon that can set up Stealth Rocks against Mega Sab, these being Clefable, Heatran and Mold Breaker Excadrill, and these 3 don't appreciate switching in Sableye thanks to Knock. Not only that, but 2/3 of these options are beaten by Dugtrio, which is extremely popular on Stall teams, while Clef is beaten by either Amoonguss, Chansey or Skarmory, depending on the set.

All of this makes setting up hazards against a good stall player an achievement on itself

Before ORAS, most Stallbreakers used Taunt as their main way of beating Stall, by damaging the opponent little by little and not letting them heal up.
Mega Sableye beats ANY taunt Stallbreaker by itself (as long as this Stallbreaker is not a fairy type), being a very few Stallbreakers actually decent against stall. In short, if your Stallbreaker can't beat Mega Sab 1v1, you better replace it with something else.

And finally, Wallbreaking
Wallbreaking is rn the best way of beating stall, but, a lot of offensive teams can't really afford running a good wallbreaker.

In short, Mega Sableye was really unhealthy for the metagame, and seeing him go will definetly be something good for the metagame.

My question is, will the rules of the Battle for champion tournament be changed now? @Marc

My question is, will the rules of the Battle for champion tournament be changed now? @Marc
Nope.

Back