My Nintendo Discussion (as of 11-2-16)

• Thread starter Danominator
  • Start date
Danominator

Danominator

Professional Goof
Towns Folk
So...it ain't Club Nintendo.

Now that we got that part out of the way, I wanted to take the time in this post to react to the near atrocity we call My Nintendo. I've been a faithful member since Day One, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. On Day One. I was disappointed on Day One. My Nintendo offered some interesting stuff, but none of it was...well, real. Everything on My Nintendo is digital. A majority of the "rewards" are discounts for games that most people already own. Even some of the discounts are jokes, like the one for Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Yup. It actually exists.

Let's get this Points system over with. There are Platinum and Gold Points. Platinum Points are earned weekly and monthly by doing Nintendo stuff online. Gold Points are earned by buying Nintendo games online.

The rewards I've actually made use of are digital Nintendo Virtual Console games that add to my collection. Being a 3DS user I can only choose from a select amount of Gameboy and NES games, but they're nostalgic in the least. The games cost 20-40 Gold Points, which is a ridiculous price compared to the games I've already paid for, making Gold Points equivalent of the hard-earned currency in basically every freemuim iPhone game ever made. There are also some cheap themes, each with the same cheesy, unenjoyable music that keep me away from them.

Oh, and there's one more problem: points expire. After six months of being loyal, your hard-earned Platunim Points are gone. Gold Points expire after a year, but by then you'll have no games to get. All the Virtual Console has been removed thus far. So yay! Discounts that suck. What I'm getting at here is that even removed from any relation to Club Nintendo, My Nintendo is far from worth it or impressive. What are your thoughts? Let me know!

I have no idea how Club Nintendo worked (because I bought my 3DS after they shut it down) but I say it's better this than nothing at all. And I actually made use of some of those discounts, for example Animal Crossing New Leaf and Mario and Luigi Dream Team Bros, and I would make use of more of them if a had the money at that time.
But I have to agree with you about the themes, they are bad although some people like them. The only ones I like are the Bravely Default and Jibanyan themes.

The way I see it:

It's free, you can choose to use it or not, if you don't like it, you can decide to not use it. I use it frequently and redeemed a couple of stuff already, it's not that bad. I prefer to be rewarded on activity and not on surveys too.

The rewards and somewhat ok as well, for something that is free, I won't complain.

Reactions: 3dsatackman
Fair enough, I do enjoy having something to show for loyalty. But I feel it wouldn't hurt to have more than just discounts. I've used two, and they are useful, but if all the rewards are just that, then when do they stop being actual rewards? I just wonder how hard it would be to create some more original content or at least full-on downloads, instead of a slew of things that make you pay for more things. Or is that kinda irrational? I dunno. Maybe I'm out of my melon on this one, I just kind of hoped for some new stuff this month.

Reactions: 3dsatackman
Just like you I'm not also a big fan of discounts. Though some of the games you can earn I find pretty cool, Like one time I saw an offer for a Wario ware touch download code for 3DS. The is the first time I've ever seen a DS game to be digitally released on a 3DS console. As for the points expiring I think it's really dumb. Especially when you want to save up if Nintendo actually releases something cool in the offers. Virtual console stuff ok though if Nintendo releases a download code for something virtual console that isn't on the eshop that really want (rhythm heaven for example) I will earn a heck ton coins to get it.

Agreed. I didn't find out points expired until the "good" wave of rewards was already gone and my points were about to poof on me. I had to blow my points on the terrible themes that still exist for some reason.

The way I see it:

It's free, you can choose to use it or not, if you don't like it, you can decide to not use it. I use it frequently and redeemed a couple of stuff already, it's not that bad. I prefer to be rewarded on activity and not on surveys too.

The rewards and somewhat ok as well, for something that is free, I won't complain.
I really can't say it any better than this. I've been saving my coins for something cool, which just hasn't happened yet, and now that I know they expire, I might start going insane and impulse buying everything there.

Or sell it for pc I guess. But apparently someone's already doing that.

UPDATE for December 1st: Apparently My Nintendo has brought back some decent content for the 30th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda, including three orchestrated downloadable videos (which apparently are still supported by the 3DS), and a nice looking theme. Also, Flipnote Studio is back. PERMANENTLY.

So sue me, I'm slightly happier.

As an active user of Club Nintendo, I can say that it was far superior to the slow service and constant expiration issues encountered on the new My Nintendo service. For example, Club Nintendo gave me a free copy of Wind Waker HD just for buying Mario Kart 8. You would never see something like that on the My Nintendo rewards page...

Back