Mat Block Strategy Guide (Triple and Double Battle only)

• Thread starter Blaze-iken
  • Start date
Blaze-iken

Blaze-iken

Nintendo 3DS Addict
Towns Folk
You must have Greninja for Mat Blocker, 2 other Pokes (Triple) / 1 other Poke (Double) that have stat raising move (like Sword Dance)
In my case, 2 other pokes are Blaziken and Lucario. 1 other is Blaziken

Greninja suggestion :
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability : Protean
Nature : Timid
EVs : 252 SP. Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
- Scald (you may use Hydro Pump if you want)
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot (you may use Extrasensory or Dark Pulse), and
- Mat Block, of course

for Blaziken :
Blaziken @ Wide Lens
Ability : Speed Boost
Nature : Adamant
EVs : 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
- Blaze Kick
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Sword Dance
Wide Lens make Blaze Kick and HJK less likely to fail (90 + 10% x 90 = 99% Accuracy)

and for Lucario :
Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability : Inner Focus
Nature : Adamant
EVs : 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
- Blaze Kick
- Close Combat (you may use Poison Jab to counter Fairy)
- Substitute
- Sword Dance

Guide :

#Turn 1
Blaziken use Sword Dance, Greninja use Mat Block, Lucario use Sword Dance
All damaging move will be blocked by Mat Block

#Turn 2
Blaziken use Substitute, Greninja use [move], Lucario use Substitute
You may not use substitute, so just attack. [move] means damaging moves it knows

#Turn 3
Blaziken use Sword Dance (again), Greninja use [move], Lucario use Sword Dance
You may immediately use [move] if you think its attack stat is enough to OHKO

For the next, no need to use when Substitute fade, cause its attack stat maybe enough to OHKO foe's

How to counter :
- Greninja :
~ Fake Out, so Greninja will flinch and cant use Mat Block
~ If you think your Poke is faster than Greninja, you can use Taunt
- Blaziken : (its hard to counter, even for me, cause its Speed raise every turn and 2 Sword Dance will make it very strong
~ Taunt (1st turn), so it'll just attack and cant use Sword Dance
~ use Trick Room so Blaziken wil be the last, and use very effective move
- Lucario : (maybe same as Blaziken)

If anyone who want to add or give suggestion for my Pokes, just reply so i can know more about competitive battling

Reactions: Colbydarkrai, Alphasilverx and 3dsatackman
Mat Block imo seems like it isn't worth it. The opponent could use priority moves or status on any of the Pokemon on your side and if you Fake Out Greninja then Earthquake/Dazzling Gleam is a threat to that set. And don't forget Haze to possibly make your first turn useless. If given the right opponent sure it's alright but there is no bulk in it and resisting Pokes with status will take advantage... I honestly don't know how good this set is not seeing it do anything I guess.

Reactions: Mr. Kream
I have kinda have the same set with mat block but the thing is the only priority move that does heck a damage is extreme speed other than that i would think its all good. and for status moves i would kinda be happier to know that if my opponent decides to attack first turn i have some thing to back me up. Fake-out is an obvious downer for Greninja cause that WILL mess up the combo big time but other than that its good. I like what you have going on but where is the the double battle combo? also a good idea to accompany this would be Greninja- mat block; any other pokemon with swords dance and an area move like Garchomp which should be fast enough to outrun many things: 2nd turn Greninja- u-turn bring out something that has the ablity telepathy use earthquake, surf, etc. and you should be set. If any major flaws do tell me i'm sadly not one to recognize them off the bat.:p Also hope i could help.:D

Reactions: Alphasilverx and Blaze-iken
I have kinda have the same set with mat block but the thing is the only priority move that does heck a damage is extreme speed other than that i would think its all good. and for status moves i would kinda be happier to know that if my opponent decides to attack first turn i have some thing to back me up. Fake-out is an obvious downer for Greninja cause that WILL mess up the combo big time but other than that its good. I like what you have going on but where is the the double battle combo? also a good idea to accompany this would be Greninja- mat block; any other pokemon with swords dance and an area move like Garchomp which should be fast enough to outrun many things: 2nd turn Greninja- u-turn bring out something that has the ablity telepathy use earthquake, surf, etc. and you should be set. If any major flaws do tell me i'm sadly not one to recognize them off the bat.:p Also hope i could help.:D
Yeah, I forgot to add Double Battle, but what you say maybe work for me.
In Double Battle I use Greninja and Garchomp, 1st turn like triple battle, 2nd turn U-Turn Greninja and change it to Flying type, then Garchomp EQ
and Thanks for help :)

Well what you need for Double Battles is Greninja Support/Surprise:

I use a perish trap team and a mixed greninja with Mat Block, and it works great because I often start with Mega Gengar and Greninja, the GG Combo (you know because of G engar and G reninja lol bad pun...) Gengar use mega evolve Perish Song and Greninja uses Mat Block! Then Greninja Goes for u turn into Scrafty that holds the Eject Button ! Intimidate and switch out !!!
Like that I get an intimidate of and protect the sash... and of course if i see Priority I go to Scrafty directly BUT it still works as the eject Button lets me switch freely back into greninja! After absorbing the Fake-Out again into greninja to uturn back into scrafty and get a double intimidate of while gengar disables or protects !!!
then its GG! :D

And Will-O-Wisp and other statuses are a Threat to your strategy you didnt mention and that makes me think of another tactic!
First turn you use Ally Switch with Hawlucha (use Hawlucha instead of lucario) to switch with Blaziken (for Triples)
to absorb the Will-O and and if your fear a thunder wave switch to Hawlucha that has Quick Feet (doubles speed if statused I think). And I suggest you to give Greninja A Focus Sash or Mental Herb (to counter Taunt and nobody expects a Mental Herb on Greninja)!!! :D
And to counter Trick Room bring an Amoonguss!!! :D (hes the fastest under Trick Room)
Thats all I have to say and nice idea, I thought I was the only one using Mat Block :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Artisan, this team's lack of bulk and it's inabilty to counter certain situations are it's downfall. Have you tested it yet, @Blaze-iken ?

@Alphasilverx , I like that GG combo and the it's name is perfect, because when it's over, that's exactly what you'll be saying...

Reactions: J9794

3:04

This is an almost similar strat that I use I seems just as effective

Tapu Lele can get rid of the priority issue and if it runs Taunt, it can deal with Haze users. This set is viable as long as there are work-arounds to the current checks everyone else mentioned.

Don't get me wrong Mat Block does have it's uses, as does every move, however, there is one thing I want to mention: Wide Guard. I feel it's more effective as it stops every multi-target move in it's tracks, period. There is no priority multihit move so if they try for a one turn sweep, denied. Better than trying to luck your way out when a scarfchomp shows up. Mat Block still is useful though imo, just needs a buff.

Don't get me wrong Mat Block does have it's uses, as does every move, however, there is one thing I want to mention: Wide Guard. I feel it's more effective as it stops every multi-target move in it's tracks, period. There is no priority multihit move so if they try for a one turn sweep, denied. Better than trying to luck your way out when a scarfchomp shows up. Mat Block still is useful though imo, just needs a buff.
Water Shrunken and any priority used by Megakhan will multihit, but yeah, Wide Guard is more useful.

Water Shrunken and any priority used by Megakhan will multihit, but yeah, Wide Guard is more useful.
I'm bad with the English*sigh*, meant Multi-Target not Multi-hit.

Back