Just a discussion on Emulators

• Thread starter Jisenku
  • Start date
J

Jisenku

I have an obsession with Tesla >.<
Towns Folk
I know that emulator links on 3DS Pedia are not alowed, but, I want to know, how is your experinces with emulators? I have a Windows 10, so emulators work great for me, I normally play Super Mario Bros. and that's it, now I'm starting Earthbound. (SNES) Just wondering how things go for you guys.

I don't like to use emulators unless i'm recording a video or have lost a game. I personally just like to play the original console since it feels like your actually playing the game. Another thing about emulators is that you have to either use a keyboard or use a controller not from the original console which I don't really like to use.

I don't like to use emulators unless i'm recording a video or have lost a game. I personally just like to play the original console since it feels like your actually playing the game. Another thing about emulators is that you have to either use a keyboard or use a controller not from the original console which I don't really like to use.
There are a few devices which you can plug your classic controllers into to use on a computer. I've had bad experiences with some, but others worked out great. "Buyer Beware."

But back to the point of the matter, I use an emulator or two when I'm traveling, or I'm playing a "hacked" game. (I hate that that's the word for it. "Hacked" makes it sound dangerous, when really it's a game patched with some custom content or textures. Totally benign if you know where to look.)

... or I'm playing a "hacked" game. (I hate that that's the word for it. "Hacked" makes it sound dangerous, when really it's a game patched with some custom content or textures. Totally benign if you know where to look.)

I guess 'fan-games' would be appropriate, right?

Anyway, I use emulators because there are a lot of good games I can't play anymore because they're non-existent or it costs $1,000+ to buy the game or console. However, I usually only do this for NES and SNES games, as anything newer will make things laggy and choppy.

Reactions: MindzEye
I guess 'fan-games' would be appropriate, right?...

Actually, "Fan-game" would imply that it was created by a fan or crew of fans. I think the word could be "customized" "edited" or more simply... "patched."

Actually, "Fan-game" would imply that it was created by a fan or crew of fans. I think the word could be "customized" "edited" or more simply... "patched."
Patch can mean all kinds of things, lol.

Romhack, or just hack are the more appropriate terms.

Patch can mean all kinds of things, lol.

Romhack, or just hack are the more appropriate terms.
Makes it sound evil that way. -.- At times all it is is a hex-digit or two changed, a texture replaced, or a routine changed. Edited is a fine euphemism. (Oh, you should totes see the editing tools submitted on the web There's an F-Zero X Track designer, and it's awesome if not a little janky.)

I use emulators mostly to try out games that I probably wouldn't play that much then if I find a game that I like I then buy it soon after.

Well, if you're making a ROM hack, there's no way you can do without an emulator. It's like a "trial-error" process. You can't really make a change, burn it and test it on your console EVERYTIME! That'd be hectic, haha

I don't really like emulators because the most annoying and aggravating part of it is when you press on the rest button by accident. I think original games are better because you are able play and delete your saved files also when you play on emulators it's like wasting time. If you lose your phone or reset your phone your emulator game might delete the file by itself and when you play on a original game you might be able to lose the disc or cartridge. Even though you can safe the file and find it again and play wherever you left off so Original Games>Emulator Games.

I only use emulator sometimes. Though controlling games other than pokemon and such can be a pain since I play game roms on my phone and the button on the screen are really close together.

I actually use Emulators because I usually can't afford a console and a game so I just play it on my computer. It tends to be a drag with a keyboard and sometimes the games run pretty slow but if I'm really into the game it doesn't bother me that much.

There are a few devices which you can plug your classic controllers into to use on a computer. I've had bad experiences with some, but others worked out great. "Buyer Beware."

But back to the point of the matter, I use an emulator or two when I'm traveling, or I'm playing a "hacked" game. (I hate that that's the word for it. "Hacked" makes it sound dangerous, when really it's a game patched with some custom content or textures. Totally benign if you know where to look.)

I do agree with that on some level, calling it hacked when the game is just customized a bit is kinda awkward (in my opinion). I personally would call something like that modded instead of hacked, as long as its just custom sprites, music where it isn't normally (such as lets say a trainer battle with the games rival in gen 4 and you hear the music that would normally only play during a fight against Cynthia, yes this is obviously goofy and strangely humorous but still an example lol) or basically anything pertaining to changing the way the game looks in any way i feel its safe to call it modded instead of hacked even though the same or similar means are probably used to achieve the same goal/ outcome

I use emulators for certain arcade games. Red Earth being a particular game I'm interested in. (But haven't found a proper means to playing it with.) Arcades are hard to come by, and I usually have difficulty reaching certain arcade games.

I used to play GBA titles in Visual Boy Advance, like the old titles from 2000-onwards. Some games included Pokemon Emerald, Yu-Gi-Oh! - Day of the Duelist, Megaman Battle Network (all in the series, that were released for GBA only), Super Mario Bros 3 (Remake), A Link to the past (Remake), Sonic Advance 1,2 & 3, Shaman King (don't remember the title). xD

I don't use emulators/roms these days though. I guess it was just a phase I went through randomly. :p

I used to love emulators, since it allowed me to play games or consoles which where either rare or just too expensive for me. So I spent quite a bit of time playing GBA and rare/expensive DS/Wii games. The great thing is that with the Wii emulator I had, it allowed me to connect up a Wii remote to the computer ^.^

I also played on quite a few PS1/2 games since I'll probably never be allowed to buy those consoles unfortunately..

I used to love emulators, since it allowed me to play games or consoles which where either rare or just too expensive for me. So I spent quite a bit of time playing GBA and rare/expensive DS/Wii games. The great thing is that with the Wii emulator I had, it allowed me to connect up a Wii remote to the computer ^.^

I also played on quite a few PS1/2 games since I'll probably never be allowed to buy those consoles unfortunately..
Can you tell me if I can use a drawing tablet for a DS emulator? There are NSMB hacks I wanna get into, among other hacks.

In my opinion; Emulators should only ever be used as a last resort. I once heavily used emulators and because of that I found Nintendo's Virtual Console service to be a waste of my time. Why pay Nintendo for stuff I can download for free?

I have since broken free from that disgusting practice of mine where I would emulate any game I wanted. I think that people should never use emulators unless it's for a game that is not available on any current Nintendo system by any means or is not in a language you understand. For example; I emulate Mother 3, Captain Rainbow, and the Japanese-only Chibi-Robo!! game. This is because; 1. none are available on current Nintendo hardware in ANY language, 2. None have ever been released anywhere but Japan, 3. Finding an original Japanese copy would be hard and expensive.

Tldr - Emulating is bad

Can you tell me if I can use a drawing tablet for a DS emulator? There are NSMB hacks I wanna get into, among other hacks.

You should be able to, I've heard of quite a few people successfully doing so.

In my opinion; Emulators should only ever be used as a last resort. I once heavily used emulators and because of that I found Nintendo's Virtual Console service to be a waste of my time. Why pay Nintendo for stuff I can download for free?

I have since broken free from that disgusting practice of mine where I would emulate any game I wanted. I think that people should never use emulators unless it's for a game that is not available on any current Nintendo system by any means or is not in a language you understand. For example; I emulate Mother 3, Captain Rainbow, and the Japanese-only Chibi-Robo!! game. This is because; 1. none are available on current Nintendo hardware in ANY language, 2. None have ever been released anywhere but Japan, 3. Finding an original Japanese copy would be hard and expensive.

Tldr - Emulating is bad
...or pay for the service Nintendo offers, then keep emulating when it's better?

For example, GBA VC on the 3DS does not let you access the savegame in anyway. Which means that if you ever lose your 3DS (or anything bad happens to it), you lose all your progress. If you used an emulator, you would have been able to make backups of your progress.

Tldr - Emulating is not bad. Using something without paying for it is.

Reactions: 28142, Mikaya, MindzEye and 1 other person
Back