RMT / Team Help Is my team good?

• Thread starter coolflare
  • Start date
coolflare

coolflare

The flame of wonder and coolness
Towns Folk
Hallo
I have been playing competitivley since BW and I want some help with my current singles OU team build.
This is what I have now:

Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 60 Def / 124 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Is this team good? Can anyone point out any weakness?

imo, your team is overly weak to ground with no check or counter to it, as Toxapex wouldn't be able to hold out at any rate for it is to weak to ground and can't out-damage anything for the life it (literally) and that is the only possible counter to a ground type. My suggestion, swap Heatran for:

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut

Other than that your team is great imo. Good luck with competitive battling.

It's not bad, but it's boring, and by that, I mean how this team would be played. It'd be mentally straining; this is a team that would probably be pressured a lot at higher levels of play because it's got too many common weaknesses and would be forced to double out too frequently to maintain any offensive momentum. The fights would be long and tedious to win consistently, and that's not exactly fun to play, boring... Again, it's not bad, but it could be better.

I think your team could be a lot stronger if you rethink the roles you're running, it could really benefit from a strong bulky wallbreaker to pick things off; you have Lele for revenge, two sweepers, Tankchomp, and some semistall; Heatran supports Scizor wonderfully, but is Toxapex doing anything for you in this team? Also, you have two sweepers in Scizor and Mimkyu, Scizor has better synergy with your Tankchomp and Heatran, and I also think you stand to benefit getting rid of Mimikyu. You had semistall in mind when you built this team, wouldn't you benefit a lot more from a wish passer? I'd recommend this in it's place:

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

Your team is a balance team, you can definitely make it work if you put some time into it, and btw, Kartana is by no means a ground check, don't do that. I'm not suggesting a specific wallbreaker because there are too many of them, just pick one with an excellent typing that can switch into many types and can make the most out of Scizor's U-Turn. Get rid of those 60 speed EVs on Scizor.

Reactions: etrian_warrior
It's not bad, but it's boring, and by that, I mean how this team would be played. It'd be mentally straining; this is a team that would probably be pressured a lot at higher levels of play because it's got too many common weaknesses and would be forced to double out too frequently to maintain any offensive momentum. The fights would be long and tedious to win consistently, and that's not exactly fun to play, boring... Again, it's not bad, but it could be better.

I think your team could be a lot stronger if you rethink the roles you're running, it could really benefit from a strong bulky wallbreaker to pick things off; you have Lele for revenge, two sweepers, Tankchomp, and some semistall; Heatran supports Scizor wonderfully, but is Toxapex doing anything for you in this team? Also, you have two sweepers in Scizor and Mimkyu, Scizor has better synergy with your Tankchomp and Heatran, and I also think you stand to benefit getting rid of Mimikyu. You had semistall in mind when you built this team, wouldn't you benefit a lot more from a wish passer? I'd recommend this in it's place:

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

Your team is a balance team, you can definitely make it work if you put some time into it, and btw, Kartana is by no means a ground check, don't do that. I'm not suggesting a specific wallbreaker because there are too many of them, just pick one with an excellent typing that can switch into many types and can make the most out of Scizor's U-Turn. Get rid of those 60 speed EVs on Scizor.
Only went for Kartana as I saw a hyper-offense team potential, as in not removing Scizor's speed EVs. Meh. Balanced team with Alomomola works all the same. Regardless, I wish you luck with your team @coolflare

This could turn into a HO, but even then, Heatran still has better synergy here than Kartana due to it's sheer versatility, and Scizor would still be better with no speed EVs, as it's a far safer pivot without.

Quick pivots (Scarf Lando, Torn-T) are best suited to BOs where they can use hit and run tactics to poke holes in opposing teams and bring in walls to sponge damage and return hits, while slow pivots (Defensive Lando, Jirachi) are generally better suited to supporting HOs and the slow wallbreakers they host, like Mega Heracross. Part of why I'm telling him to remove all of the speed is that I'm suggesting him to add a wallbreaker, but even without, this team would have better synergy with a slower Scizor.

Regardless, point is, @coolflare, your team needs some kind of specialization if you want it to be stronger and more functional.

Reactions: coolflare
imo, your team is overly weak to ground with no check or counter to it, as Toxapex wouldn't be able to hold out at any rate for it is to weak to ground and can't out-damage anything for the life it (literally) and that is the only possible counter to a ground type. My suggestion, swap Heatran for:

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut

Other than that your team is great imo. Good luck with competitive battling.
Kartana is TOO FRAIL, and resisted hits like Greninga's Hydro pump OHKO it... Also, Toxapex is my pivot for when Scizor is in danger of a Fire mon.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Scald

I play more of a Defense/offense play style and Mimikyu is there as a threat to dragons like Zygards which can badly hurt my current team. Also, you may be right about the speed EV's but, what should I shove that 60 into?

Only went for Kartana as I saw a hyper-offense team potential, as in not removing Scizor's speed EVs. Meh. Balanced team with Alomomola works all the same. Regardless, I wish you luck with your team @coolflare
Kartana is more of an attacker than anything else. Is Sp.Def is too bad.

This could turn into a HO, but even then, Heatran still has better synergy here than Kartana due to it's sheer versatility, and Scizor would still be better with no speed EVs, as it's a far safer pivot without.

Quick pivots (Scarf Lando, Torn-T) are best suited to BOs where they can use hit and run tactics to poke holes in opposing teams and bring in walls to sponge damage and return hits, while slow pivots (Defensive Lando, Jirachi) are generally better suited to supporting HOs and the slow wallbreakers they host, like Mega Heracross. Part of why I'm telling him to remove all of the speed is that I'm suggesting him to add a wallbreaker, but even without, this team would have better synergy with a slower Scizor.

Regardless, point is, @coolflare, your team needs some kind of specialization if you want it to be stronger and more functional.
I can see that but how can Alomomola help me?

Fair enough, agree on removing the speed as well, probably for attack.

As for a wall breaker, I used to run BD Azumarill but I don't Know who to replace with Azumarill. Gen 7 has a lot of good mons and Toxapex is my pivot for scizor so toxapex is necessary... Chomp is my SR setter, Heatran defeats the mons that wall scizor, and I like the Mimikyu replacement Wayne suggested to me. Who should I replace? I also know Hoopa U is also a good wallbreaker.

Last edited:
I still don't feel that Toxapex helps you at all, but a dark type wall breaker is a very good idea regardless of who it might be. Hoopa-U might work, Weavile might work, and I'd toss my vote on Honckrow, as I think for your team, you want something with a secondary immunity, but try things out, you can make that team work.

I can see that but how can Alomomola help me?

Well, looking at your team, from the team elements there, it didn't feel that you were building toward a specific team type, but instead trying to go with things that worked, and teams like that often become balance teams. Noticing that the mon you'd chosen to center your team around are all the bulky mon commonly seen in BOs, it's easy to see how a wish passer would easily support this team.

I still don't feel that Toxapex helps you at all, but a dark type wall breaker is a very good idea regardless of who it might be. Hoopa-U might work, Weavile might work, and I'd toss my vote on Honckrow, as I think for your team, you want something with a secondary immunity, but try things out, you can make that team work.
What set do you think Honchkrow should have?

Back