RMT / Team Help EVs Made Simple

• Thread starter Mr. Kream
  • Start date
Mr. Kream

Mr. Kream

Will Mod Your Soul
Forum Moderator
What Are Effort Values?

Every Pokemon that can be used has the potential to hold 510 Effort Value (EV) points, which dictate the spread of a Pokemon's stats, and 32 Individual Values (IV) which reflect the potential of a Pokemon.

Take a look at Salamence
salamence.gif

dnKgHYr.png

EVs allow specialization of a poke to any role, but only typically allot 64 points of stats maximum when applied. The 32 (31 individual plus 0) points that IVs represent are one of two things that determine how close to the limit you can get.

Look at level 100 Salamence's Speed stat, it's range is from 205-299 on a neutral nature. 205 is the lowest speed neutral speed Salamence can be at without any EVs, 0IVs. Add 64 to that and what do you have?

At a speed of 269, 252 EVs are already applied to Salamence and that's his speed, but the limit is 299. For each remaining stat value beyond 269 is each individual IV from 1-31, and this is what I mean when I say that IVs reflect the potential of a Pokemon. It's worth noting that 4 EVs don't weigh precisely one point with most stat bases.

Alloting Effort Values

Each Pokemon has a specific preset EV yield that they give when defeated, such as how defeating Rotom-M yields 1 Spd EV and 1 SAtk EV.

rBPd9Rg.png

Before Diamond and Pearl, EV's had to be applied 1-4 at a time, and 8 if you by some miracle had attained Pokerus. Since a maximum of 510 could be applied, it was a very time consuming and tedious thing to do. The fourth generation came along and changed that with the introduction of new items.

tsP89CW.png

The Power Items are typically used for EV training and they make EV training significantly more simple than it used to be.

Basically, when a Pokemon holds these items, it adds +4 to the current stat yield such that if a Pokemon of yours defeats Rotom-M while holding Power Anklet, he would receive a yield of +5 Spd and +1 SAtk.

+5 seems small, yes, but there are quite a few ways to multiply this. Pokerus, an infectious disease that afflicts Pokemon, doubles EV yields. With Pokerus, that +5 becomes +10 points from the Pokemon you've defeated; if you challenge and defeat a horde, that +10 points becomes an easy +50 points. Here's a list of horde locations:

rr5XxAe.png

The current maximum amount of Effort Points that can be gained from one battle at a time is 50 Effort Points, manipulate these to make the Pokemon that you need.

Here is a page that details all Effort point yields by stat.

And these two list out horde locations alongside EV yields.

Sun and Moon Effort Values

How to Use

To start, here's a video by Alex Ogloza, the 2014 American VGC champ.

Four EV's typically equal one stat point. For each stat, the maximum total of EVs that can be expressed in any one stat is 252 points out of the 510 to be distributed (usually 64 stat points). EVs should be used to create Pokemon that suit the needs of your team, AKA something specialized or specific.
talonflame.gif

Here are the stats of an unspecialized Talonflame, with a balanced spread.

O0v9Hpb.png

Most of the time, when a Pokemon is trained without regard to EVs, spreads look like this. For a competitive battle of any kind, it's very inefficient. With a spread like this, a Talonflame isn't actually prepared to do anything, because it's points are everywhere, and it isn't good at anything like this. As a part of a team, it should have a very specific role that it plays that it's EV spread is catered to.

Here's an example of my Talonflame, Ikki, modeled similarly to Alex Ogloza's VGC 2014 one, and @Zukrad's Talonflame, Bravest Bird, from his 180BP Crunch Team.

jLzygIh.png

Ikki II (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Taunt

In my case, I needed something extremely fast that could outpace max Spd invested base 110 Pokemon, which cap around 350 speed, while being able to threaten fragile max base 130 Spd Pokemon, which cap at 394. I needed this same Pokemon to be capable of using fire moves, and chose Talonflame because he is perfected suited to doing this, and does it very well.

He runs his maximum possible speed, at 386, to outpace or tie with other Talonflame, and 252 EVs in Atk to ensure that he hits as hard as he possibly can with his fast Jolly nature. He can pressure and outspeed anything I'm worried about alongside his Gale Wings, and is fast enough to be used as an effective offensive pivot, or check to status moves like Trick Room which could be problematic if not checked quickly enough.

lwt3Ien.png

Bravest Bird (Talonflame) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

In Zukrad's case, he's running a very strong, yet fragile, lead, and needed a solid way to wall status and stallers, so his lead could make its sweep. His Talonflame supports him by breaking the majority of things that can threaten his sweep, and is a very good functional example of how one specific Pokemon's spread can relate back to it's team. If you haven't had a look at that team, I suggest that you do look at it sometime to develop a solid understanding of what I mean by this, and to have a look at a good OU team.

Unlike my offensive Talonflame, his is a defensive Talonflame. [Editing, ignore] It's specially defensive and cripples physical attackers so that it can tank the majority of moves. It does it's job well.

Let these be examples for how you plan your set, be creative and adapt to what you need for whatever Pokemon it may be.

Fixing EVs

If you need to revise your planned EVs, your Pokemon isn't lost. The items listed below change stats by the value listed, and if you feel you'd rather start anew, the Reset Bag resets all Effort Points back to zero and gives you a fresh start.

8LN7Gr2.png

jRgPkPp.png

z5XI6He.png

Natures
pokemon_dp_nature.png

Natures were a very cool way diversity was added to Pokemon's stats that didn't exist in first and second generation. Basically, beneficial stats have a +1.1 times power boost vs a -0.1 times power boost when compared against their neutral maximum.

Finishing Up

All information posted here is current to the sixth generation games and is slightly different when compared against past generations; if someone wants to know the differences in that information, ask for it. All pictures posted here here are borrowed from seribii.net or from the Pokemon Showdown program except the nature chart. Idk where that came from, but hey, it's linked...

Feel free to ask questions and if anyone would like to view a far more detailed thread:

P. S. @Zukrad I hope you don't mind me borrowing your Bravest Bird.

P. S. S. Have funnnnnnnn...​

Last edited:
Reactions: moon27, PalD2, 3823 and 3 others
EV training is pretty simple. Especially with the horde training system I find the so much easier to EV train Pokemon these days. I could have a Pokemon hatched with the right IVs one day and have the EVs finished up on it on the same day now. I usually make my Pokemon have specific roles and EVs on my team, so most of my pokemon's EVs are the typical 252/252/4 spread. However the more specific spreads (such as those where its like 200/120/144/36 or something) are kind of hard because you have to literally track how many of each Pokemon you have to defeat.

Reactions: PalD2
However the more specific spreads (such as those where its like 200/120/144/36 or something) are kind of hard because you have to literally track how many of each Pokemon you have to defeat.
I could probably make a pretty simple and decent thread on that, but Alex Ogloza had a pretty simple video posted touching that a while ago. Alex Ogloza was the 2014 American VGC champ, so take notes.

And yeah, you're so right, It's so easy with hordes; doing this in Emerald version was a total nightmare, even with Pokerus...

That site calculator he uses is here.

https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Last edited:
Reactions: PalD2 and 3905
I could probably make a pretty simple and decent thread on that, but Alex Ogloza had a pretty simple video posted touching that a while ago. Alex Ogloza was the 2014 American VGC champ, so take notes.

And yeah, you're so right, It's so easy with hordes; doing this in Emerald version was a total nightmare, even with Pokerus...

That site calculator he uses is here.

https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
That really helps with the EV spreads which aren't the basic 252/252/4 spreads lol >.>
I just don't see myself sitting there trying to find EV spreads which would let me best out a certain check lol. If anything I usually just try to find similar sets to the ones I want to run and use the spread they have instead xD

It gives better insight into making them such that a person can build custom spreads themselves to counter what they need or be as scary as possible. Sometimes it's more about adding what you lack. For actually putting the EVs on to a set like that, its not so complicated if you use the minerals.

For instance, to apply 186 points to atk, there are three sets of 50 in that, so 150EVs will come from hordes. For the other 36 points, the thirty can can come from minerals (Protein) but it has to be applied first since minerals have no effect on a stat with EVs over 100. The last six are easy, just go train itemless.

Wow, this is a really good guide!!! Congrats!!

However the more specific spreads (such as those where its like 200/120/144/36 or something) are kind of hard because you have to literally track how many of each Pokemon you have to defeat.

Those spreads are ussualy used on Defensive Pokemon and Doubles

Defensive Example
Garchomp 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Here, the 92 Speed seems a little weird in a defensive Pokémon, but these 92 Spe are needed to outspeed Jolly max speed 70 base speed Pokémon (like Bisharp or Breloom) by one point, while optimizing his defensive bulk

Doubles Example
Suicune 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
In doubles, everything gets more complicated because... Doubles is way more complicated
Here, the speed is enough to outspeed Adamant Landorus T with choice carf when tailwind is active in your side, while the 76 SpA is enough to OHO it with Ice Beam, and the rest goes in Defense bulk

Reactions: Mr. Kream
Those spreads are ussualy used on Defensive Pokemon and Doubles

Defensive Example
Garchomp 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Here, the 92 Speed seems a little weird in a defensive Pokémon, but these 92 Spe are needed to outspeed Jolly max speed 70 base speed Pokémon (like Bisharp or Breloom) by one point, while optimizing his defensive bulk

Doubles Example
Suicune 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
In doubles, everything gets more complicated because... Doubles is way more complicated
Here, the speed is enough to outspeed Adamant Landorus T with choice carf when tailwind is active in your side, while the 76 SpA is enough to OHO it with Ice Beam, and the rest goes in Defense bulk
I see. so for the most part, EVs should be adjusted around what main checks or what may cause a threat to the rest of the team. Defensive Pokemon need specialized EVs because aside from bodying hits they should also be able to cause some damage on the opposing team as well. And in doubles, since you have to worry about more the EVs should be high enough to take out potential threats and commonly used doubles pokemon. Thanks again for the help

Reactions: Zukrad
And u just screwed up my mind with the talk of doubles XD

It's nothing complicated, it just means you came prepared.

Edit: Milk, yup @Marc, editing works fine.

Last edited:
Mourning in the world of comprehension remember that I am newer to this than u and do not comprehend building double teams yet :/ I will need to build one if I'm gonna take out vii or I can mix up my current competitive pokemon as I have more than 6 of them XD

bumpity bump.

Back