Eric's Rating System Explanation

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
ErixSan

ErixSan

Somehow still top 3 poster after 3 years.
Towns Folk
oIL47ui.gif

This is a full explanation of the final design I will be using for my reviews, and also for the rating system.

*There's now Wii U reviews, but I don't want to do a new banner (maybe in a future, but not at the moment)

You will find two posts below:
Design Explanation
Rating Explanation

Have fun!
Notes: Reviewers of the site can ask me for the design as well, so if they want to use the same style, it's probable they use the same design, but a different rating system.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmashChamp

DESIGN EXPLANATION:
Kjozf8H.png

RUjtASi.png

MTcczsi.png

OKBhhDI.png

9zsnRs4.png

eqKlCcf.png

nwrfMWT.png

zvtuR9K.png

mqBhXOw.png

fKoXVT1.png

Now, there will be different colors instead of two. RED will be used for Nintendo 3DS Retail games, ORANGE for Nintendo 3DS eShop Games, PINK for Nintendo DSi games, BLUE for Nintendo Wii U eShop games and BLACK for Nintendo Wii U Retail Games.

For Virtual Console games, the color used will be from the eShop one: Orange and Blue.
If we review a Wii Ware or Wii VC game, the color will be GRAY.

Another difference will be a logo. It will says when it's an eShop game or a Retail game in the case of the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U, and of course, the DSi Ware logo for the DSi Ware games.

Another change now is the font and the star. The main difference of the star will be it color.
Meanwhile for 3DS and eShop games it will keep the yellow color, DSi titles will have a pink color instead for a better looking. This also applies for the Wii U banners, where the new color is gray.

The font changing is just for the "Score" and "Review" texts.

There is also a small change for the eShop updates pic:
7ZWi82P.png

Did you noted it? The date text is changed for a better looking.
Remember, @Marc is already showing the update in the forum!
Q1wEAiE.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BjFauble
RATING EXPLANATION:

As you know, I'm using a rating system for my reviews. But they changes when it's a 3DS eShop, DSi Ware or a retail game, so I would like to explain the differences here with the explanation:​

vRCxz5w.png

Gameplay: Controls, game mechanics, if works of it's broken, gaming features, it's duration based on its price... It's the most important category in the reviews.

Graphics: How the game looks, including menus and rendered cutscenes.

Audio: How the game sounds, that's all.

Presentation: How the game is presented, the menus and options and if those are easy to use, the quality of game in general, the manual, etc.

Final Score: The final score in the stars is the average.

This would be the basic formula:
Final Score = [(Gameplay * 2) + Graphics + Audio + Presentation ] / 5

This would be the optimized formula:
Final Score = [(Gameplay * 2) + (Graphics + Audio + Presentation) / 2
Now you will ask why I using different formulas for eShop and Retail games as well. This is because the QUALITY/PRICE value. Of course, DSi Ware games also count, but because the hardware is different, the rate will also be.

Here's an example:

This is the game "Marc Adventures". I reviewed the game and now I have to do the final score.
The game have a version for DSi Ware for $8, a 3DS Ware also for $8 and the retail game costs $29.99. Being almost the same game, how it will be in the reviews?

hpnH29r.png

XZOgvI3.png

m83wg6X.png

Last edited:
DLC's REVIEW

This small explanation will be for DLC, and I will keep it simple.

FORMAT:
The format of the review will be different, where the game review will be used as a base (or companion). This will allow a better explanation about changes and the content added.

CATEGORIES:
I will change the four categories for just two: "FIRST IMPRESSION" and "WHAT IT ADDS?". If the DLC makes a big change to different parts of the game, the four categories will be back.

SCORE:
The final score will just include the star, giving just the final number.
Meanwhile I can't do a formula for it, content and price will be the main two variables for it.​

Last edited:
The new banners looks cool! Also, separating eShop and Retail games was a great idea.I'm looking forward to the next reviews, then!

Reactions: ErixSan
Interesting ....

I would like to review Marc Adventures btw.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Interesting ....

I would like to review Marc Adventures btw.

Yeah, that would be great.
For now, I will start doing the one for Bravely Default and another for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

How much weight are you assigning each category? What if a game has very dated visuals but excellent gameplay? Do graphics and audio hold as much clout?

I can see why graphics, audio, and presentation would differ between 3DS & DSi Ware - I think gameplay would generally be the same though.

It's hard to give recent examples though, since there are so few DSiWare games being released period. The last dual DSiWare/eShop game I can think of was Teyon's Crazy Chicken Director's Cut which came out several months ago.

How much weight are you assigning each category? What if a game has very dated visuals but excellent gameplay? Do graphics and audio hold as much clout?

Gameplay is duplicated in the average, so it counts as double. Also, dated games won't affect the presentation.

In the case of the game has very dated visuals and why not, audio quality, but excellent gameplay, it should be like this:
IjCf7AH.png

Still, meanwhile Graphics and Audio hold the same weight, the rating is different as well in both categories.
For example, a game that looks good and sounds bad, won't be the same that a game that looks bad but sounds good.

I can see why graphics, audio, and presentation would differ between 3DS & DSi Ware - I think gameplay would generally be the same though.

That's true. But the main reason of that is the DSi hardware is a lot more limited than 3DS.

It's hard to give recent examples though, since there are so few DSiWare games being released period. The last dual DSiWare/eShop game I can think of was Teyon's Crazy Chicken Director's Cut which came out several months ago.

Yeah, you're right in that case.

First two reviews with the new design... And the banners look good in Twitter too :3
ofo1qtN.png

Love the Gif with all the moving, and i understand how you rate the games now pretty clever but a question do we have to vote or make our own choice.

Love the Gif with all the moving, and i understand how you rate the games now pretty clever but a question do we have to vote or make our own choice.

What do you mean? The design?
The colors means the platform, for example, 3DS Retail, 3DS eShop, DSi Ware, Wii U eShop and Wii U Retail.

I mean the reviews link i like how you make the image very cool.

I mean the reviews link i like how you make the image very cool.

Actually the writer choose it, if we make an error, Marc will tell us and fix it >.>

that is cool i think that it is nice for us to be able to see how you rate it :) thanks for making this and all of the reviews that you do @Erixsan :) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back