do you have to clean 3ds games after a while

• Thread starter Retro The Dutchie
  • Start date
Retro The Dutchie

Retro The Dutchie

THE GALAGA GOD (if i had a Galaga machine XP)
Towns Folk

I can't say that I have had to clean a 3DS game before. However, I have a few DS games that could use a good cleaning due to use. I know the game cartridges don't like moisture, but what to use to safely clean/remove the tarnish and not take the copper plating off?

I can't say that I have had to clean a 3DS game before. However, I have a few DS games that could use a good cleaning due to use. I know the game cartridges don't like moisture, but what to use to safely clean/remove the tarnish and not take the copper plating off?
What? Are you saying you don't have the official NES cartridge cleaner?! And you call yourself a Nintendo fan... Shame...

All jokes aside, you could probably use the official NES cartridge cleaner. Me, personally have had to blow off games just from them being in my school bag. It's awful and bad for the cartridge, I know but it's not like you're going to destroy the cartridge after a few blows, assuming you're not spitting on it.

Or for most systems, and if you don't have the official NES cleaner, just put a bit of rubbing alcohol on the end of a Q-Tip and gently rub the contacts. Works like a charm every time for me anyway. Regardless, though you never really should have to clean them unless you are in a super dusty environment, which would probably mean investing in these already anyway. Good luck cleaning your 3ds games though.

I've never had to clean a 3DS or DS cartridge at any point in my ownership of them really. I keep most of them in cases, or those to-go cartridge wallets, and I keep those out of the sun and cold. Thusfar there's been no dust, and very few issues with loading. (Some of the really old DS games may not be read at first, so I flick them in 'n out. Old cart revival trick.)

Reactions: etrian_warrior
I've never had to clean a 3ds/ds cartridge, but i just would use Windex on a q-tip to gently rub the contacts. It's what I've used on many NES games of mine for a long time, and they all work perfectly well. Of course just popping a 3ds/ds cartridge in and out a couple of times should work. Sometimes on the 3ds it will also just take a little bit of time to read, so be patient try again and everything should work perfectly.

Reactions: etrian_warrior
What? Are you saying you don't have the official NES cartridge cleaner?! And you call yourself a Nintendo fan... Shame...

All jokes aside, you could probably use the official NES cartridge cleaner. Me, personally have had to blow off games just from them being in my school bag. It's awful and bad for the cartridge, I know but it's not like you're going to destroy the cartridge after a few blows, assuming you're not spitting on it.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do have the cartridge cleaner kit, for the SNES anyway. However the solution dried up/got used up years ago. Also, had a GameBoy cleaning kit, used it to clean the crap out of my GameBoy and games.

When I was younger (only slightly) I used to carry the DS games I was using in my pocketses. Over time I realized this was detrimental to the game's connection to the DS Lite I was playing. Never really cleaned the cartridges because the 3DS came out and I upgraded and started using game carrying cases to prevent grime building up on the games. Those games that spent time in my pocketses never got cleaned and don't always work or play properly.

Rubbing alcohol. Dip a Q-tip in the alcohol, squeeze out any excess alcohol, slowly and gradually rub the contacts on the 3DS/DS cart. Let it dry.

Never once had to clean my 3DS game card to work, however, I did have to do it with DS cards but I'm not sure if that was the primary issue for me trying to make DS games run on my 3DS. I think my 3DS was one of the unlucky ones to have a little defect when trying to play DS game cards (have to fiddle it in just right for it to work at times).

As far as I can recall, I do not remember having to clean my 3DS cartridges, but I cleaned my DS cartridge (not sure if this was the problem or not) and it worked after for a few seconds (I was using DSI XL) and it disappeared from the menu, so I took it out and put it back in and it worked again! So long story short I am not sure if it needed cleaning but it fixed the problem, so maybe it did, we will never know I guess, not like it matters though :p

I've never had to clean any of my 3DS cartridges. I look after each and every one, away from dirt and water. Honestly, I wouldn't take the risk of cleaning one if I had too, I wouldn't want to break it in any way. If I don't play a game or two (for a long while), I put them away in their respective boxes.

Never let the copper strips get dirty; there may be no going back.
As for the rest of the card, I'd say using a lightly moistened tissue would work just fine, as long as you're gentle~

Oh, and actually organize and protect them. Don't be like me and keep them stored haphazardly on shelf-things. >w<"

I've never had to clean my 3DS games. Maybe if there is stuff on them but I take good care of my things so I don't have to worry about that.

Reactions: Kitsune_Sakura64
I've never had to clean a 3DS game before. I got a used Final Fantasy III for the DS that had some gunk on it, but it comes right off pretty easily. 3DS games seem to be able to survive a bit of water though. There's no way I'm the only one who accidentally sent a game or two through the washing machine.

I've never had to clean a 3DS game before. I got a used Final Fantasy III for the DS that had some gunk on it, but it comes right off pretty easily. 3DS games seem to be able to survive a bit of water though. There's no way I'm the only one who accidentally sent a game or two through the washing machine.

When she was younger, my sister stuck one of mine in her mouth and chewed on it. >.<
Still works, though~! ...Is it ironic in any way that it was a Kirby game? :hilarious:

Well, I don't think that I've ever had to clean a 3DS cartridge or DS cartridge in any way similar to that of, say, an NES cartridge. While the paper cover may tear on the front of the cartridge from use, I don't see any way that the cartridge would become dusty or dirty, considering the fact that it is contained pretty well.

Back