3DS SD Card overkill

• Thread starter Eric3ds
  • Start date
Eric3ds

Eric3ds

Nintendo 3DS Addict
Towns Folk
Note: My SD Card format was modified by myself and i don't recommend people to buy over 32GB SD HC unless you have some skill or using some tutorial to modify the SD Cards format.

I just bought a 256GB micro SD Card (With a SD adapter) on ebay and i'm going to see if it works on my 3DS, yes it is a huge gamble but i just want to make the most of it for the New 3DS. Just wondering if anyone has done the same.

It hasn't came yet but i'll post it as soon it arrives.

Note: My SD Card format was modified by myself and i don't recommend people to buy over 32GB SD HC unless you have some skill or using some tutorial to modify the SD Cards format.

I just bought a 256GB micro SD Card (With a SD adapter) on ebay and i'm going to see if it works on my 3DS, yes it is a huge gamble but i just want to make the most of it for the New 3DS. Just wondering if anyone has done the same.

It hasn't came yet but i'll post it as soon it arrives.

@ErixSan has done a tutorial on how to use SD Cards with 128+ GB of memory on a 3DS. Can't find the link, though :/.
But, also, what's your SD Card's brand ? Class Number ?
And, what have you done before the accidental format switch ?

@Eric3ds I'm using a 64GB SD Card, still that wasn't the mistake.

The 3DS officially accepts up to 32GB, still it can read 64GB and 128GB when formatted to 32GB.
A 256GB is already too much and this is the reason: the format itself.

Fat32 is a bad option for big capacities for a SD card, and worst if it's a micro one (technical stuff behind)

32GB Card : Normal Speed
64GB Card: 10% slower
128GB Card: around 25% slower
256GB Card: killing the console XD

Meanwhile I don't recommend the use of micro SD cards on the 3DS, you should not use more than 128GB.

Reactions: kaw1234
@Eric3ds I'm using a 64GB SD Card, still that wasn't the mistake.

The 3DS officially accepts up to 32GB, still it can read 64GB and 128GB when formatted to 32GB.
A 256GB is already too much and this is the reason: the format itself.

Fat32 is a bad option for big capacities for a SD card, and worst if it's a micro one (technical stuff behind)

32GB Card : Normal Speed
64GB Card: 10% slower
128GB Card: around 25% slower
256GB Card: killing the console XD

Meanwhile I don't recommend the use of micro SD cards on the 3DS, you should not use more than 128GB.
Current:
Master
128GB SDXC
Class 10

It wouldn't make much of a difference if it's a micro SD, and it reading/writing slows depending on the amount of content you have downloaded. Fat32 isn't a bad option, the format can go as high as 2TB without corruption :p

Current:
Master
128GB SDXC
Class 10

It wouldn't make much of a difference if it's a micro SD, and it reading/writing slows depending on the amount of content you have downloaded. Fat32 isn't a bad option, the format can go as high as 2TB without corruption :p

That's true, but its speed is affected because of the type of memory. And about the reading and writing thing...

sd-card-pinout.png

There's a conversion so there's a small difference.

Huh.. Didnt know that great number of space in sd card can kill the system .. I only used 16gb for.my 2ds.. That is too much for me .. Cause I dont download any game bigger in size (blocks exactly) ,perhaps thats is why then...:D

The main problem with MicroSD cards with adaptors (I use a 32GB one) is that sometimes the 3DS refuses to read it. Sometimes it does so in the middle of the game, and my Pokemon adventure is interrupted by a screen saying, "The SD card was removed," when it wasn't :rage: and forcing me to restart the console and lose my progress.

Also, as far as I know the 3DS faces problems with any SD card above 32 GB, which is the maximum safest size. Besides, what could you possibly want with 256 GB, yeesh. I doubt all 3DS games put together would make up 256 GB.

Reactions: kaw1234
The main problem with MicroSD cards with adaptors (I use a 32GB one) is that sometimes the 3DS refuses to read it. Sometimes it does so in the middle of the game, and my Pokemon adventure is interrupted by a screen saying, "The SD card was removed," when it wasn't :rage: and forcing me to restart the console and lose my progress.

Also, as far as I know the 3DS faces problems with any SD card above 32 GB, which is the maximum safest size. Besides, what could you possibly want with 256 GB, yeesh. I doubt all 3DS games put together would make up 256 GB.

That's possible to fill a 32GB SD (reason I use a 64GB)...

Most of the retails games I have are:
  • Sonic Lost World,
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Sonic Generations
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Shin Megami Tensei Demon Survivor Overclocked
  • Code of Princess
  • Project X Zone
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • Bravely Default
  • Zero Escape: Virtue Last Reward
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • Mario & Luigi Dream Team
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
  • The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
  • Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
  • Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright
Also a bunch of eShop titles (some from reviews and giveaways and some I bought).
Still I doubt I will fill my 64GB card...

Back