Will the NX/Switch be chargeable without the dock?

• Thread starter CJ
  • Start date
CJ

CJ

You not gon' ge me!
Towns Folk
How exactly will the Switch be chargeable? We know that you can dock it to your stand which connects to the TV, but what about for "On the Go" playing? It is impractical to bring that big thing out with you. Will there be any cables provided for it?

This is just my thought on the matter, but I think we'll get a seperately sold or bundled charging cord with the Switch. We might also get a Switch sans the dock with said cord.

It's possible that it is similar to the Wii U cradle. Remember how you can plug your cable in the cradle to charge your Wii U gameplay, or plug it directly n the gamepad to have it charging while using it? This would make sense IMO.

I think there will be a charging cord for the switch bundles with the NX. The only reason the N3DS etc didn't have a charger is because nintendo ' presumed ' everyone already had a charger already

Interesting question. Although I feel the obvious route here would be "dock = charger." We never exactly saw the people set it down to charge, and more plugs and cords would be unnecessary.

Interesting speculation, maybe the dock itself can act as a portable charger-battery! It is just about small enough to go with it, maybe all it is being hooked into their TVs are just a couple wires, no biggie. Maybe while it's in your home being plugged in, it's getting its own charge.

Wouldn't that be tantamount to bringing an entire console with you everywhere though? I mean sure, with the in-built screen there's really no need for AV/HDMI, but it would feel pretty embarrassing and impractical hefting around an entire console unit into an airplane for example and plugging the entire thing in for the flight.

Well, why not? XD

2508234-0809176417-ku-xl.jpg

2508235-1382501558-large.jpg

Some people decided in the past that the Wii U could already be transported on plane :p

Reactions: Starry Windy, Ace and MindzEye
Wouldn't that be tantamount to bringing an entire console with you everywhere though? I mean sure, with the in-built screen there's really no need for AV/HDMI, but it would feel pretty embarrassing and impractical hefting around an entire console unit into an airplane for example and plugging the entire thing in for the flight.
Ah, but the point to mine theory still has't not come across.
Much like any charge-able battery, those docks may themselves hold a charge with which to charge your Switch. Thus, after playing awhile in airports and rooftops, one could set it aside and play later without plugging the dock itself into anything. (Alternately, one could play while it charges, assuming the dock's assumed "blinders" are adjustable.)

Ah, but the point to mine theory still has't not come across.
Much like any charge-able battery, those docks may themselves hold a charge with which to charge your Switch. Thus, after playing awhile in airports and rooftops, one could set it aside and play later without plugging the dock itself into anything. (Alternately, one could play while it charges, assuming the dock's assumed "blinders" are adjustable.)

That's possible but unlikely to happen. If it's not necessary for the console then it's a waste of money in production, and while a dock that holds a charge sounds cool it's not going to be practical enough to justify the expenses, not to mention it'll ramp up the price. It'd be way easier and cost-effective if like a 3DS charge dock, the actual power cord doubles as a charging cord directly to the core of the Switch or heck, even giving the tablet screen its own charging cord would be cheaper still.

Reactions: MindzEye
A portable battery doesn't cost much. Well... It seems like everyone's selling one, so I'm guessing they are easy to manufacture.
Meh, I'm outta fuel for that brainstorm. :playful:

Back